Fishing 'Rigs'

Bleeding Green

Bit if a general topic title but I am in serious trouble if I consider myself a fisherman....

I have no idea about differant setups. What's what and what to use where. As an example I tried to rig up a pre tied 'flat head rig' which I bought but didn't know one end fromt he other. It has a swivel on one end, a loop tied on the other and two hooks coming off from the middle. I figured that I'd tie the swivel to the end of my line with a running sinker on my main line. Looked OK but I ended up with the loop on the end and have no idea what it's for. Did I tie it upside down? Is the loop supposed to hold the sinker?? Any help is much appreciated.

I really don't know where to start with getting up to speed wigth differant setups. I'm trying to learn on the run but it ain't happening. Should I just stick to a basic sinker and one hooker setup?? Are there any good sites which explain in simple terms what do use for what?

I only fish from my boat, and mainly in inland lakes and inlets, hoping to catch a snapper, bream or half decent sixed snapper. Cheers.

Bit if a general topic title but I am in serious trouble if I consider myself a fisherman....

I have no idea about differant setups. What's what and what to use where. As an example I tried to rig up a pre tied 'flat head rig' which I bought but didn't know one end fromt he other. It has a swivel on one end, a loop tied on the other and two hooks coming off from the middle. I figured that I'd tie the swivel to the end of my line with a running sinker on my main line. Looked OK but I ended up with the loop on the end and have no idea what it's for. Did I tie it upside down? Is the loop supposed to hold the sinker?? Any help is much appreciated.

I really don't know where to start with getting up to speed wigth differant setups. I'm trying to learn on the run but it ain't happening. Should I just stick to a basic sinker and one hooker setup?? Are there any good sites which explain in simple terms what do use for what?

I only fish from my boat, and mainly in inland lakes and inlets, hoping to catch a snapper, bream or half decent sixed snapper. Cheers.

Hiya Alfa

Sounds like you have found yourself a Patternoster rig. You got the swivel bit right (tie to your mainline) but the sinker belongs hanging off the loop on the bottom (it is then easy to change sinker weights by unlooping them from the loop)

Cheers Blood Knot

Thanks for that. It makes more sense now.

Just with getting a sinker on, when you say it's easy to change the sinker do you mean by pushing the loop through the sinker then sending the line back through the loop? To do this I'd have to cut the rig from the main line each time and re-tie once done?

Or is there an easier way?

Also, any good sites that you know off where I can read up a bit about this sort of thing without having to seive through all the jargon?

Thanks for that. It makes more sense now.

Just with getting a sinker on, when you say it's easy to change the sinker do you mean by pushing the loop through the sinker then sending the line back through the loop? To do this I'd have to cut the rig from the main line each time and re-tie once done?

Or is there an easier way?

Also, any good sites that you know off where I can read up a bit about this sort of thing without having to seive through all the jargon?

Not quite - you would put the loop through the hole in the sinker. Then put the whole sinker through the loop. Dont need to cut the line at all.

This is the best site to learn from :thumbup: . Just ask lots of questions and read as much as you can.

Evets

Not quite - you would put the loop through the hole in the sinker. Then put the whole sinker through the loop. Dont need to cut the line at all.

This is the best site to learn from :thumbup: . Just ask lots of questions and read as much as you can.

Evets

and do the reverse to get the sinker back off