New Boat Trailer

Bleeding Green

So I decided that instead of fitting brakes to my trailer (I need to be able to throw camping gear in the boat when I go away therefore I need to tow more than 750KG) I am going to buy a new one.

Reasons are:

* The mechanic told me that my trailer was probably a touch small for my boat

* I'd like a longer drawer bar so I can fit a bike rack in between the car and boat

So I have a price for a quintrex trailer in both gal and Ali (Ali is actually cheaper than gal by $50!!) but they probably wouldn't extend the drawer bar. I also have a price for a Gal boeing which is cheaper than Quintrex and will extend the drawer bar. Earlier this year I got a price on a dunbier which was less than I thought but I don't know if they'll extend the drawer bar.

Today I'm going to head up to peakhurst to see a trailer builder their to see what they can do for me.

Does anyone have any other suggestions/opinions or recommendations? I want something that is going to go the distance. Are they all pretty much the same?

And if anyone is in need of a Dunbier trailer in excellent condition send me a PM and I can send you some details and we can work out a price.

Cheers

So...

Went and got a price for the new trailer. All seems good, I just want some opinions:

* It's going to be higher than my current one by around 75mm. Will this make a big differant to retreval? As it is now, I usually just guide the boat to the trailer with a rope, then hook it up to the winch and pull it up. I don't drive it on.

*I have the option of skids or multi rollers. The guy suggested that the multi rollers will make retreival easier considering the new height, but I'm a bit concerned as I have read before that skids are recommended for alu hulls. He said he was aware of the recommendation but they have put heaps of them on multi rollers in the past and have never had an issue. It will come down to preference as it costs the same.

* This trailer will be almost a foot wider than my current. It suit me better, but is my boat going to look way to small on the trailer?

* It's going to cost me about $180 for them to setup the rollers to suit my boat; they use a hoist to transfer the boat which I imagine would make it easy for them. Is this reasonable or should I just pick it up and do it myself? (With the extras I am going for the guy took over $250 off anyway so the transfer cost is kinda covered).

* How much more can I expect the rego to be; and will I need an inspection from the first 12months or do we get 5 years like cars?

Opinions??

So...

Went and got a price for the new trailer. All seems good, I just want some opinions:

* It's going to be higher than my current one by around 75mm. Will this make a big differant to retreval? As it is now, I usually just guide the boat to the trailer with a rope, then hook it up to the winch and pull it up. I don't drive it on.

*I have the option of skids or multi rollers. The guy suggested that the multi rollers will make retreival easier considering the new height, but I'm a bit concerned as I have read before that skids are recommended for alu hulls. He said he was aware of the recommendation but they have put heaps of them on multi rollers in the past and have never had an issue. It will come down to preference as it costs the same.

* This trailer will be almost a foot wider than my current. It suit me better, but is my boat going to look way to small on the trailer?

* It's going to cost me about $180 for them to setup the rollers to suit my boat; they use a hoist to transfer the boat which I imagine would make it easy for them. Is this reasonable or should I just pick it up and do it myself? (With the extras I am going for the guy took over $250 off anyway so the transfer cost is kinda covered).

* How much more can I expect the rego to be; and will I need an inspection from the first 12months or do we get 5 years like cars?

Opinions??

Just Run with Sales trailers... good value

Just Run with Sales trailers... good value

Hi Mate, Are you speaking from experience? That's not the first time I have heard their name mentioned. Coincidence? I don't think so.

That's who I've gone with. Very helpful and very well priced. All Aussie made, and have been recommended to me by other customers which is good to hear.

I looked at all the brand names quintrex, dunbier, stacer, and boeing and none of them compare in value. I'm getting a lot more trailer for my dollar; I just hope I am not over capitalising and that the trailer is too big for my boat. I think I'll be right though. I intend to keep the boat madium to long term, and I need it to suit my family's needs so it will make life easier.

Looking forward to getting it out on the road.

My alloy boat is sitting on a roller trailer and I find launching and retrieving is pretty easy. It sits on the trailer and tows nicely but I'm no expert so I couldn't say whether skids are better or worse.

Since it was supplied by the boat manufacturer (Brooker) I have to assume they know what works with their hulls. :1prop:

Thanks for the reply.

After speaking to another dealer I decided to go with the skids. Rollers should be fine, but skids offer more contact surface so spread the support around a bit better than rollers. And becuase I will have the boat in tow with some camping gear loaded in it, the reason I am going for a heavier trailer, the more support the better.

Thanks for the reply.

After speaking to another dealer I decided to go with the skids. Rollers should be fine, but skids offer more contact surface so spread the support around a bit better than rollers. And becuase I will have the boat in tow with some camping gear loaded in it, the reason I am going for a heavier trailer, the more support the better.

just a thought mate if you drive a holden or ford make sure you get the same hub stud patern something i didnt i drive a commerdor and have ford wheels on my tralierranting2.gif