Blue Groper

Brento the Fisho

Theres plenty of Groper in Cowan. I have seen & caught fish to 10 kilos in there (all released). Illawong Bay in Coal & Candle Creek had a few that were up near 15 kilos where the old wharf was.

The locals around Cottage Point look very unkindly on Groper poachers - the fish are like family pets.

I got yelled at 4 times in one pass from various individuals "don't you kill that Groper"........... I was Bream spinning, wouldn't have minded hooking one for all it lasted :1prop:

The locals around Cottage Point look very unkindly on Groper poachers - the fish are like family pets.

I got yelled at 4 times in one pass from various individuals "don't you kill that Groper"........... I was Bream spinning, wouldn't have minded hooking one for all it lasted  :1prop:

52628[/snapback]

Theres been a Huge one living near apple tree bay for yrs

I know of a few anglers who have tried unsuccessfully to compete with him on the heaviest of tackle. Apparently he takes pleasure in showing there weaknesses

Im with the locals though, they are a great species but suffer quickly from exploitation therefore I like to leave em alone.

Seen 2 getting cleaned last sunday when I went for a spin. Didn't bother reporting as the only nice fish I caught was a 64cm flatty on 4lb that gave me some stick. Other than that a few squire and a couple of choppers :thumbdown:

Only last week one of my mates was trolling between Bobbin Head and Apple Tree Bay and landed a 93cm Kingie!. I was very surprised at that sort of fish being so far up Cowan. As anyone else ever landed a kingfish up in Bobbin Head before.

Ryan

Is this a protected area for groper as I thought you could catch 2 by line according to the fisheries NSW website? I can understand if people catch and release them but if you are allowed to catch them you can't really be a poacher can you.

Is this a protected area for groper as I thought you could catch 2 by line according to the fisheries NSW website? I can understand if people catch and release them but if you are allowed to catch them you can't really be a poacher can you.

53142[/snapback]

No, you can't be a poacher,unless you are spearing them or taking more than the bag limit, and for fishn, they are a fine table fish, especially the smaller ones.

Matt