trout fishing

squidfiddler

Hi Radiers,

Just thought i might ask if any one can give me any tips on trout fishing as im going down to lake eucenbeme just past cooma for a week of trout fishing. I have fished for trout before but just want to check im doing things right because they are hard to catch. We troll tassy devils in the boat and we fish off the banks with power bait and worms. We only ever catch rainbow trout and never get the brown trout so is there any other tricks i should know. Any tips will help thanks.

squidfiddler

Hi Radiers,

Just thought i might ask if any one can give me any tips on trout fishing as im going down to lake eucenbeme just past cooma for a week of trout fishing. I have fished for trout before but just want to check im doing things right because they are hard to catch. We troll tassy devils in the boat and we fish off the banks with power bait and worms. We only ever catch rainbow trout and never get the brown trout so is there any other tricks i should know. Any tips will help thanks.

squidfiddler

Hi Squidfiddler,

Have had success in the past trolling small minnows in trout paterns for browns. You can also try trolling the edge of mud banks in shallow water early in the morning, before or just after sunrise. Don't troll to fast.

Cheers

Grouse

Hi Squidfiddler,

Have had success in the past trolling small minnows in trout paterns for browns. You can also try trolling the edge of mud banks in shallow water early in the morning, before or just after sunrise. Don't troll to fast.

Cheers

Grouse

This is something we do a lot and my suggestions would be go to Buckenderra, you can launch the boat & fish off the bank here.

We are in a 12ft tinnie & we troll as close to the bank as possible & stay on the south western bank, try and stay in 10 - 15 ft of water max. You are trolling that slow you will see the snags & rocks and after your first pass you will remember where they are. We run 2 flat lines with tassie devils. We generally only ever use two colours. 1 = #87 - beattle bomb & Y82 - Canberra Killer. Be out before the sun comes up and start trolling as soon as you leave the shore. We catch plenty within the first 200 meters. There have been plenty of browns about at the moment. Good luck

Cheers Damo

Might be worth getting some local knowledge at a tackle store or somewhere like that about the weather recently, temperatures etc. Trout tend to go deep when it warms up, and don tend to like the low pressure systems - in my experience at least. If those things aren't right then it just makes it harder.

Thanks damo is that boat ramp close to old adamiaby boat ramp because that is were we are staying. Have you found that you catch more rainbow trout then brown.

Nah Buckenderra is a fair way south of Old Adaminaby - but have fished plenty of times from the caravan park there. Exactly the same there head straight to the north eastern bank on your left as your leaving the boat ramp and start trolling straight away and head over to it. Again troll really close to the edge - there are very few snags there. The other good area that seems to be better as the sun goes behind the mountains is the direct opposite side (on the mountains side) where you have rock/mud banks going pretty steeply into the water and over there head to the south (away from the boat ramp towards Buckenderra) there are some good tree areas not to far down.

Hope that makes sense...generally yes more rainbows than browns but the reports have been good on the browns at the moment. Best one last trip went 6.5lb.

Cheers Damo

This time of year there would still be browns near the mouth of river. I have a place st old adaminaby. Great time now. You could even still get spawn run fish. Big trouts. Power bate at night or big woolly bugger fly in front of gold bomber at night in old river bed.

This time of year there would still be browns near the mouth of river. I have a place st old adaminaby. Great time now. You could even still get spawn run fish. Big trouts. Power bate at night or big woolly bugger fly in front of gold bomber at night in old river bed.

thanks for the tips. when you say big woolly bugger fly in front of gold bomber what does this mean

thanks