Live bait fishing

camb1988

Hey guys got into fishing last summer and had a heap of time trolling and lure fishing around middle harbor in my tinny. Ive managed 5 or 6 illegal kings countless bonito tailor and salmon and had some good success bait fishing for bream and trivially this winter. Coming into spring I e wanted to start livebaiting for kings and Jews but have no idea of how to start. Have had some experience catching yackas and squid but just don't know how to present them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mate, I just LB and use Snell knot for 2 hooks. Hook right below top 2 fins.

They have different of type of presentation for boat. I just google it and found some pics with explanation for you.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/fishing-tutorials-members/163382-live-bait-presentation-can-make-you-break-you.html

As for squid presentation, I can't find the thread on raider anymore. I remember PRED-ATOR has drew some awesome pics about how to hook them. Maybe someone will find the thread for you.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Max

Rig for yakkas- A single Hook rig with ether a 5/0 or 4/0 Circle Hook or Octopus Hook.

Rig for squid- two hook rig with one wedged though the top of the head and a loose hook dangling around the tentacles.

Spots to try:

Clive Park- about 80m off clive park there is the deepest hole in the harbour apparently around 45m deep. Locate it on the sounder or if you don't have a sounder just get as close as possible as there will be fish scattered around the edges. Especially Jewies!

Spit- Yakkas and squid for Kingies, Jewies and a many others. Slow trolling the livies is a good idea aswell as the kings will be hanging ariund the moored boats.

Sugarloaf Point- Deep water about 60m off the point where you will get your kings, Flathead and Jewies.

Balmoral- Slow troll the yakkas and squid past the moorings for kingies, Bonito and Salmon.

Good luck!