Little mako off coogee

little marlin

First time poster long time reader,anyways here goes got to the ramp at 5:30 and put the boat in only to realise that i left the pillies in the freekin freezer at home so it was not a great start for a bottom bash out on the reefs. So off we motored with 2 good mates to get some livies out off rosebay to the wedding cakes and that we did. Punched it straight out to 12 mile for zip then agreed maybe the peak might be better off. No kingies there either but got a few reef fish then went for a drift for flatties about 2k's off cooggee. It was fairly quiet till old mate down near the back of the boat hooked up on not a bad little fish,got it about half way then the drag decided to let loose and go nuts and bam smashed straight through his 60lb leader.We were like thinking thats got to be a shark so i had my rig out with a butterfly yakka and straight to the bottom it went.Had to rig my mate up as he is not so good with words let alone tieing knots so droppped him down and we got tangled,quickly decided to to cut his rig and all of a sudden felt a thump in the line i had in my hand and thought i was snagged,started bringing it in and realised holy shit this aint to bad so tightened up the drag a touch and then about 30m off the boat seen a fin come up and at first thought it was a little black(i wished) took a quick dive and up it came again for my mate to call a shark i was like oh ok here we go as it went for another little dive only to appear 3 metres from the boat and we could see those razor sharp teeth pretty much smileing at us both was a 1.4 mako,as he had the gaf ready ,I was thinking this 60lb leader is goin to break any second now and bam slappped me straight on the chest. Oh well tryed my luck with some wire trace for about 30mins after but didnt reappeare was a great day out on the water espcially to see such a great little mako up so close and whales cruising around like a mini playground.Sorry no photos of the little mako as u know happened all so fast.

Bad luck on losing it at the boat. a mate and i picked one up while drifting for flathead last friday off syd, we knew it was down there after bringing up a flathead missing a bit my mate lead it to the boat with his next catch. I kept it at the back of the boat with some lite berley while he got a shark line sorted. On hook up it twisted up in the line so we rushed it to the boat, i got in a solid gaff shot and with a 2nd gaff we got it into the boat end up tail tying it and draging it for a while to kill it.. so mako is on the menu for a while. here's a photo of me with it but credit goes to my mate on a great catch at close quarters.

better luck next time...

noah

post-16646-091489300 1319489165_thumb.jpg

Bad luck on losing it at the boat. a mate and i picked one up while drifting for flathead last friday off syd, we knew it was down there after bringing up a flathead missing a bit my mate lead it to the boat with his next catch. I kept it at the back of the boat with some lite berley while he got a shark line sorted. On hook up it twisted up in the line so we rushed it to the boat, i got in a solid gaff shot and with a 2nd gaff we got it into the boat end up tail tying it and draging it for a while to kill it.. so mako is on the menu for a while. here's a photo of me with it but credit goes to my mate on a great catch at close quarters.

better luck next time...

noah

Sweet gory photo there noah :o They'd love that one on the BloodyDecks forum!! :thumbup:

We had a similar encounter with a 4-5ft mako off forster 2 weekends back. I had my bottom donking rig on the bottom when the fish passed between my line and the transom. My mate dropped a live yakka on his head which he ate- line peeled for 5 seconds then, pop! rigged up properly in case he returned, but no love.

Goes to show that we should have been a little more patient and rigged up with a circle hook and/or wire before sending a bait in.

Good capture!

Cheers

Tom

Edited by fisheyes85

Sweet gory photo there noah :o They'd love that one on the BloodyDecks forum!! :thumbup:

We had a similar encounter with a 4-5ft mako off forster 2 weekends back. I had my bottom donking rig on the bottom when the fish passed between my line and the transom. My mate dropped a live yakka on his head which he ate- line peeled for 5 seconds then, pop! rigged up properly in case he returned, but no love.

Goes to show that we should have been a little more patient and rigged up with a circle hook and/or wire before sending a bait in.

Good capture!

Cheers

Tom

yeh there was a bit of extra cleaning to do !! I'm a big fan of having pre made rigs ready to go, that one was on both wire and a size 16 circle without it your chances are pretty slim.. having said that got a small whaler a couple of months back on a bottom line with 60lb mono leader but as soon as i realised what i had I locked up the drag and put the pain on it straight to the boat.