Downrigging

samboy

Gday Raiders,

Hiles and me recently purchased a lake troller downrigger for our 12ft tinny. We gave it a whirl on the w/e and came to the conclusion that it was pretty impossible to use successfully with our motor (1978 evinrude 2 stroke 25hp) because she doesn't run slow enough without conking out! :ranting2: Wondering if you think it would be worth keeping the downrigger and drifting/slowly rowing through moorings throughout the harbour? Or should we wait till we get a better motor??

Thanks

Sam

Guest Aussie007

i have a old quintrex 4.3m with max 50HP engine i find its slowest speed is to fast IMO but still does catch fish u can try a few things find the fish line your boat up so your about to go over the fish than knock the engine into neutral and drift over the patch of fish as u should always downrigg with the current this might be a problem on windy days though or u could just tune the engine so it idles try new spark plugs and clean your fuel hose from the tank to the engine also if your downrigging into the current u will almost stall all old engines and even some new engines will barley idle if u dont have a idle screw on your engine like mine u need to adjust the mixture screw on the top carby than the bottom carby if u have two carbies so the engine idles at its highest point the canon lake troll downrigger is what i use its a top downrigger if u wash it with fresh water after use oil where the shaft meets the wheel otherwise it seizes up

You could also just throw out a sea anchor or even a bucket with some rope attached to your gunnells

This would slow you down quite a bit

Good idea, although I cant help thinking we are just going to be burning heaps of fuel doing this, or is it barely noticeable? I know very little about how much fuel 2 strokes burn per hour can anyone enlighten me?

Guest Aussie007

Good idea, although I cant help thinking we are just going to be burning heaps of fuel doing this, or is it barely noticeable? I know very little about how much fuel 2 strokes burn per hour can anyone enlighten me?

i fill up a 25L tank and often downrigg for 3-4 hours start and stop the engine at the boat ramp i use around 17L thats on a 4.3m alloy boat 50HP 2 stroker