Cant catch fish!

fryboy

Hi,

A while ago, I decided i'd like to be a 'serious' fisherman. I bought a great little boat about a year ago and have been seriously trying for good fish ever since. I've been a studious follower on FR , reading all the articles and following the fishing reports trying to glean any information at all times. I get out about once or twice a month, more in summer. I've spent thousands of dollars on gear and getting my boat in good order (dont ask me about the trailer....). Ive got up at 2, 3, 4am to go fishing whilst minimising the impact on the family. I've taken fellow FR's out on the boat to try and learn the tricks (thanks Framed Trash) I've talked to tons of guys at the ramp or on FR or wherever to get all the info. I've learnt to catch bait and keep it alive. I thought i've done it all...

To date: My score is zero. I have not caught one fish that I consider 'take home worthy'. There was one 63cm Kingfish, a few salmon and bonito. Otherwise, nada. Nichts, nought, nothing. I'm really starting to think that the boat is cursed ? Wonder if fellow FR's could have a read of my tactics and see if you can spot whats going on....

I wonder if there is something really simple that I am doing wrong, or is this a normal experience? I mean, I wouldnt mind if it was a one off, but this is a very usual situation for me... How can I change my luck??

I'm targeting Kingfish and Snapper. I'm northern beaches based, so I'm usually out from Bayview, but have tried the harbour. On Sunday this was the report:

Launch Bayview at 4am. Collected half a dozen yellowtail and a couple of sweep at West Head - took longer than I hoped, so didnt get away from there until around 5.30. Headed out to Valiant wreck. Now, here maybe an issue - I can never find any what you would call 'structure' at the GPS marks i've got (mostly from FR). I guess I'm in the right place, cause for example on Sunday there was another boat right where my GPS took me. I couldnt see anything more than a few maybe 1-2m bumps at the bottom. Couldnt see any fish either, but thought we'd have a crack.

Anchor up. Send out some burley (pillies, tuna oil and some of that packet burley mix - all mashed up). Put one Yellowtail out the front on an unweighted livebait rig, letting the fish swim to a depth of approx 15m (in around 20m of water). Then mate and I fishing out the back - rod each with paternoster rig, two hooks each, baited up with pilly and/or slimy mackeral (bought). Wait. Nothing. Give it about half an hour. Other boat departs, we do the same.

Head to another mark a couple of miles south. Again, nothing more than a few bumps on the sounder, but a bit of a rise in depth from 30m to around 25m, like a little plateau. Try again for about an hour. Same setup, same burley, except this time two livies out the front, one about 15m down and the other weighted nearer the bottom. This time we caught one green eel. Made a complete mess of the gear and had to cut it free. Otherwise nothing. Head off.

Decided to do some trolling. Put one yellowtail aboout 3m deep on the downrigger and one lure out the back and troll along the walls around Whale Beach/Palm beach for an hour. Not a thing!

Change strategy again and anchor up at one point about 40m off the wall in about 10m of water and a bit of structure seen on the bottom. Can also see lots of bait on the sounder. Again put out a couple of unweighted livies and go again with the snapper rigs fishing thrown in towards the wall. Manage about 3-4 rock cod (I think thats what they are) and a smallish trevally. Livebaits not touched. Decide to head off. Couldnt get anchor up - had to cut it free - another 40 dollar donation to the fishing gods. Oh, and my mate lost my pliers over the side whilst de-hooking a cod, so add another 10 bucks...

Troll back to Pittwater all along the walls and Barrenjoey with one livie on the downrigger and a lure. Nothing. Not a touch.

really appreciate any advice or encouragement!

thanks

Fryboy

Edited by fryboy

Hey mate,

i know what you mean. Been there, done that..

I fish pittwater a bit and might be able to offer you a few tips on spots to try and tactics.

1. For the moment stick inside the heads until you manage a few fish and then work your way outside.

2. Seeing the kings are around now i think you should fish one yakka on the bottom and one either unweghted or under a float. This will help you cover more ground as kingies, salmon etc are midwater and surface while the big flatties, bream and jewie are on the bottom.

3. My usual routine in pittwater is to gather live baits (maybe a dozen or so) and then head straight to the first spot and anchor up. I fish the two yakkas out the sides and another two rods. One with a prawn or nipper and another with a pilli fillet. Fishing this way will allow you to catch any kingies and salmon that are around on the yakkas and bream, flathead and whiting on the prawns and pilli.

4. Burley is a must. your mix sounds fine. In winter the small snapper can be a problem but at this time of year i would definitely use it religiously.

5. Here are a few spots to try for the moment.

* West Head- approximately 60-80m out from shore throw out a few livies and try and pick up a few salmon and kings.

* Coasters retreat- Another good livebaiting spot for kingies and salmon with the odd jewie around too. Can be patchy so if no bites after an hour or so then move on.

* Towlers Bay- Troll live yakkas and squid around the moorings for the kings.

* Clareville- same^

* Stokes point- My Neverfail Spot! Last time i fished stokes point was during winter when things really slow down. Managed a 54cm flattie, just legal and undersized snapper and a 30 cm bream. Lost a BIG salmon too next to the boat when he broke me off.. Best time is the first 3 hours of the run out however, it fishes quite well even at the bottom of the tide. Persist and you will get fish her!

Another tip i can give you is fish your livies either both on circle hooks with a locked up drag or 1 circle locked up and on octopus with a baitrunner system or freespool.

Good luck!

Hi Mate , Keep the chin up, dont get to perturbed with your efforts. It takes time on the water to hone your skills.The tactics you have mentioned are not that far off the mark . Watch how much berley you use in any circumstances. How exact you are anchoring up , try to stay on reef edges. Try doing a few drifts to place the fishing and mark on your sounder. Allow for current and wind for end results. Also you are on the northern beaches check out Mona Vale close as this area fires alot more then people know. Check the Bommies later in the afternoon till night,i have seen some great fish caught . This place requires experience so spend some time during the day to study different conditions it will break ,and watch these Bommies :1yikes:. I try to fish different tide changes also consistently. You will improve with experience and this takes lot of time on the water. Good Luck

:1fishing1:

Guest Aussie007

i see your problem clearly your not finding the right schools to downrigg when kings school in shallow water around 30 foot in summer they will usually be in the whole water colom well that is my experience in a number of spots from sydney to the south coast just remember if u find a school of snapper u cant downrigg for them although u might catch one or two u really need to focus on the kingy schools heres a picture of kingys in botany bay during summer on my cheap fish finder u might spend half a day off shore finding the kings but once u find them u will be catching a king every pass with the downrigger which will only take a few minutes to pass the school when looking around outside or even inside look for rough bottom this will be reef if the bottom is flat its sand keep this in mind when putting your anchor down if your unsure of the bottom always put down the reef anchor first if it doesnt grab simply motor back over the spot and change anchors

post-3154-020649400 1319441311_thumb.jpg