Jews Kings Squid Flatties = Happy Chappy!

dhype

Hey Raiders

Just a quick Botany Bay report from a few days back

Hit the water and loaded up with live squid and downrigged around Mollinuex Point where I bumped into another raider in a blue formosa.. hope you did well there as I found nothing but undersized kings around the 60cm mark. Did not want to waste anymore squid so we moved on.

Popped over to the flats with plastics and found plenty of flatties including some in the 60 - 70cm mark! All the bigger ones released to fight another day as per usual..

post-10545-060051500 1319456668_thumb.jpg

Waited to dusk and tried for jewies for the first time and to our surprise we managed 3 x nice fish on our first attempt

This is one of the smaller ones we got... not bad for a 1st timer targeting jews. Will give it another go this weekend hopefully for a 10kg unit!

post-10545-002491200 1319456671_thumb.jpg

Ended up with a nice feed and a great day out!

See ya all on the water

Cheers

Trung

Edited by dhype

Hey trung

It was me that saw you that day at Mollinuex Point. I recognised your boat from your boat building post - boat looks good btw. We were hoping for some kings that day, but ended up with about 8 trevallys instead. Nothing touched our dead squid baits, not even a single rat. This was probably because we didnt have any live bait. We went to yarra bay for some yakkas and squid and got nothing. How do you seem to find the squid everytime? must be a squid whisperer or something!

Was nice to sorta meet you anyways.

BTW i wished i owned a formsa, its actually a blue allycraft.

Yee

was looking for your report and thought you probably didn't go fishing.

Silly me.. Congrats you always do well.

I been going to the peak and found no kings and end up with flatties on the way back.

Stop by Molly and anchor but no takes. :(

Did you get all the kings while downrigging?

Hey Trung,

So you had an all-day trip?

Squid gear, kingie gear, flattie gear, jewie gear - mate you had it all.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner on the boat ?

What about the toilet?

Are you sure you don't have a 50ft mother ship anchored nearby ?

It has been a long time since I can afford to do all-dayers like that.

My mind can do it but the body says "you're gonna have a sore back and sunburnt face tonight"...

But isn't it amazing the diversity of species we can catch in the bay.

To rig up your boat and gear in such a way as to make it easy to convert from one target species to another is quite a challenge.

The boat, gear and strategy you use needs to be clearly thought out beforehand and carefully prepared such that it works on the water.

The results are clearly there - a decent catch of squid - able to downrig them and catch kingies (albeit undersized ones), then successfully catch flatties on sp's, to be followed up by using the squid from the morning to catch jewies that night.

Well done Trung - you set the benchmark amongst bay fishermen for species, techniques and logistics.

I take my hat off to you - but I won't take anything else off.

By the way - plenty of big whiting around last weekend if you want to add that to your repetoire.

Tony

Hey trung

It was me that saw you that day at Mollinuex Point. I recognised your boat from your boat building post - boat looks good btw. We were hoping for some kings that day, but ended up with about 8 trevallys instead. Nothing touched our dead squid baits, not even a single rat. This was probably because we didnt have any live bait. We went to yarra bay for some yakkas and squid and got nothing. How do you seem to find the squid everytime? must be a squid whisperer or something! :biggrin2:

Yee

Hi Yee -

Great to hear you found a few travs.. they are great sashimi! The kings are there but you need the right bait and it looks like dead squid was not the right one last week. I pray to the squid gods before every outting.. for this they reward us with a tank full of squid. You should try it!

was looking for your report and thought you probably didn't go fishing.

Silly me.. Congrats you always do well.

I been going to the peak and found no kings and end up with flatties on the way back.

Stop by Molly and anchor but no takes. :(

Did you get all the kings while downrigging?

hahaha - i would never go a week without a fish!

All my kings these days are picked up on the downrigger.. best way to locate them!

Well done on the fish trung,

Looking forward to seeing these 10kg units : )

Stan

I'm looking forward to seeing a 10kg jew myself! It might not happen overnight.. but it WILL happen!

Hey Trung,

So you had an all-day trip?

Squid gear, kingie gear, flattie gear, jewie gear - mate you had it all.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner on the boat ?

What about the toilet?

Are you sure you don't have a 50ft mother ship anchored nearby ?

It has been a long time since I can afford to do all-dayers like that.

My mind can do it but the body says "you're gonna have a sore back and sunburnt face tonight"...

But isn't it amazing the diversity of species we can catch in the bay.

To rig up your boat and gear in such a way as to make it easy to convert from one target species to another is quite a challenge.

The boat, gear and strategy you use needs to be clearly thought out beforehand and carefully prepared such that it works on the water.

The results are clearly there - a decent catch of squid - able to downrig them and catch kingies (albeit undersized ones), then successfully catch flatties on sp's, to be followed up by using the squid from the morning to catch jewies that night.

Well done Trung - you set the benchmark amongst bay fishermen for species, techniques and logistics.

I take my hat off to you - but I won't take anything else off.

By the way - plenty of big whiting around last weekend if you want to add that to your repetoire.

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for your kind words...

Yes, this was all day outing and the first we have ever done... the body gets a bit war-torn afterwards thats for sure!

You are not wrong with the diversity of the bay.. within a few square kilometers you can activitly target kings, flatties , jews, bream, whiting, crabs, squid etc etc.. great stuff. I have been fishing the botany now for 2 years and every few months we will pickup a new technique.. latest being the jews! Next on the target list is snapper and kings from the inshore reefs with jigs/plastics - this will be a challenge as i have ZERO inshore experience!

You hear people comment about no fish in Botany Bay but i beg to differ on this - if you target a species you get a much better chance of landing a few...

Lastly, you speak about massive whiting in the bay last week? I pumped a tank full of nippers with the intention of catching a few but did not get the chance to use them. Might have to get a few pointers from you Tony as you seem to smash the bream and whiting everytime. Give me a yell if you would like to head out for a fish one day.. we can trade botany secrets! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Trung

Hey trung

It was me that saw you that day at Mollinuex Point. I recognised your boat from your boat building post - boat looks good btw. We were hoping for some kings that day, but ended up with about 8 trevallys instead. Nothing touched our dead squid baits, not even a single rat. This was probably because we didnt have any live bait. We went to yarra bay for some yakkas and squid and got nothing. How do you seem to find the squid everytime? must be a squid whisperer or something!

Yee

Hey Yee, the problem is if you get there after 7am, Trung would have cleaned up the squid already by then, he is usually out there by 5, so get there early!!! I've learnt my lesson :biggrin2:

Hey Yee, the problem is if you get there after 7am, Trung would have cleaned up the squid already by then, he is usually out there by 5, so get there early!!! I've learnt my lesson :biggrin2:

hahahaha - funny but true!

If you see a white polycraft leaving the squids ground dont bother trying... they are already in my bait tank!

Trung