3.77m Shark off Newcastle

Catchin Jack

Hey guys,

I did have a post up about this last week but decided to delete it until I got the picture from the guy.

Well this shark went 3.77 metres in length and was caught off Newcastle, it was weighed in at the Fish Co-op at Newy, unknown what the weight was though.

post-10101-035050300 1319591099_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

I did have a post up about this last week but decided to delete it until I got the picture from the guy.

Well this shark went 3.77 metres in length and was caught off Newcastle, it was weighed in at the Fish Co-op at Newy, unknown what the weight was though.

post-10101-035050300 1319591099_thumb.jpg

Looks like it could do some damage!

Guest Aussie007

its a sign the fish are coming in closer for summer and a bigger predator is coming with them where theres one there will be more :1yikes:

Yes it's a Great White Shark and it was caught up in netting.

It is a protected species in NSW waters and I believe also Commonwealth waters.

Here's link to the story from NBN SHARK NBN LINK

I know they are protected but how does it work with catch and release ? As bycatch (then released I would not expect any problem) but say if you targeted it for catch and release are you breaking the law ?

Shark was caught in the nets off bar beach.

as far i know, as soon as you are aware it is a gws you are to cut the line, from what i understand regardless if it 2m or 200m of line hanging out its gob. so no you are not allowed to target them at all.

You are not allowed to target the species for catch and release, however at certain times they are hooked accidentally in targetting other species of sharks. Once they are sighted and confirmed as a great white they are to be cut free. Shame it got caught up in the nets, but thats what there meant to do. Salmon running, whales returning with their calves, whites follow the same journey.