Big Cobia

PRED-ATOR

Hey Raider's

I have always wanted to hook and land a big Cobia off sydney.

I know there not as commin here as other places but i have seen reports of them being caught.

These fish are just so awesome to me and the fact that you dont see too many, pull hard and look awesome are all pretty good reasons for me to want to chase them.

Everytime i hook into a school of kingies i hope i hook a cobia haha.

Does anyone have any tips for me to catch these beasts? or where around sydney they have been caught before? Any info such as bait lures anything will help.

I have tried high speed spin off the rocks plenty of times for a donut and also from the boat.

Cheers, Stan

Hey Raider's

I have always wanted to hook and land a big Cobia off sydney.

I know there not as commin here as other places but i have seen reports of them being caught.

These fish are just so awesome to me and the fact that you dont see too many, pull hard and look awesome are all pretty good reasons for me to want to chase them.

Everytime i hook into a school of kingies i hope i hook a cobia haha.

Does anyone have any tips for me to catch these beasts? or where around sydney they have been caught before? Any info such as bait lures anything will help.

I have tried high speed spin off the rocks plenty of times for a donut and also from the boat.

Cheers, Stan

They are a great looking fish.

Last year I heard of two decent sized cobia were caught from middle head in the harbour?

Unsure of any truth or details though... Good luck!

Stan there is a ripper article by Starlo in the latest modern fishing on Cobes. You should pick it up for a read.

They are awesome looking fish i reckon they look like sharks when they are in the water from a distance..

Apparently there was a small one taken from the stones at Nth Curly last year.

Your right. They arent too common down our way at all. There are usually a few reports of them per summer. I caught a meter long Cobia up in Weipa last year. Graet Fun on light gear. Fight easily as well as a king once they get to a bigger size. I think your best chance is in the harbour mixed in with the kingfish and other pelagics. I would have to say either live baiting or flicking sluggos is your best chance. You might not get one but its worth the effort if you get lucky!

I agree they are an awsome looking fish,fight hard and you dont hear a lot of reports about them,i guess thats why they are up near the top of a lot of fisho's to catch list.I was lucky enough to catch a nice one over a metre long up north last year on a charter (possibly a f.r lure record) I also called it for a shark at first glance then when i realised it was a cobe i was over the moon as it was a first for me :yahoo: .I dont fish sydney so i wouldnt know where to start but i got that one trolling a classic deep diver around fairly shallow reefy area just off a bommy maybe you could try a couple of trolling sessions. goodluck on the cobia questpost-19229-023245900 1319692144_thumb.jpg

quite rare in sydney but the odd one does turn up during the warmest of water. Considering that most are a bycatch by people chasing kings or jewies and how many of these fish are caught during summer then your chance of being one of the very lucky few that hook a cobe is tiny.

If you really want to tick them off the species list and don't want to travel too far then a weekend or 2 around nelson bay towards the end of feb would be well worth a crack. You will definately increase your chances as well as hopefully having a ball with some longtails as well.