kingfish tales

namesay

I hope everyone is enjoying the spring weather. It is traditionally time for some big kings off our part of the world. I have been busy chasing some of these hoodlum size fish we have at the moment. Ever since the abolition of the kingfish traps, they have grown in both number and size. In the last month I have been busted off on almost every trip by some unstoppable fish. I only use 100lb + braid and this is still not enough at times. With kings it is the fish that you lose which makes you come back!

post-2057-052664000 1319975585_thumb.jpg

This is Tony with a kingie. It measured over 120cm. My measuring sticker only goes to 120cm so I am not sure exactly how long. Probably 15kg perhaps a bit more.

post-2057-047249700 1319975696_thumb.jpg

This is me with a 106cm king. Looks like a baby compared to some of the other fish we have been getting but still a good fish. The mouth shows how much drag we are using on these fish. I normally set my jigging master at 15kg at strike and up to 20kg at full...fully measured on scales. Even a "small" fish like this one will pull drag at this setting.

post-2057-055334700 1319975861_thumb.jpeg

This is Mason with a kingie which went 117cm. A fat well conditioned fish.

Just hope the kings grow bigger and meaner in the future...long live the king!!. Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Ripper fish there fellas..sounded around the harbour and inshore reefs on the weekend everything was dead, but thats fishing...How deep were you guys fishing??

Water temps at this time of the year tend to fluctuate greatly. Kings have a certain range they are comfortable with so that is where you try to locate them. Water colour also plays a part. There are many who like really blue water and others who don't. I am of the former. You only have to look at the colour of the fish.

As to depth, the really big guys are in very shallow water at times. That is where the food is. Kelvin

Gotta love catching a big kingie, they are such brutes to fight! No finesse, they just go hard until something breaks or they get to the bottom... I can't imagin what it would be like to catch a 120cm+ Hoodlem!!!!!!!!! I've caught 99cm and that was awesome. I take my hat off to you guys! Looks like you were on a off shore reef? were you jigging or did you catch these on livies?

Cheers,

Andrew

I have been asked constantly about where these fish were caught. The most common question is whether they were caught inside or outisde the harbour. A lot of members have asked me whether they were caught on bait, squid, yakkas or jigs, plastics..etc.The answer is all of the above.

post-2057-089489600 1320063259_thumb.jpg

There seems to be a common misconception that the big kings are only caught in deep offshore waters. This is plainly incorrect. I take photos with a bland background as in the past people have tried to find the areas we were working by looking at the background. This gives the illusion that the fish were caught offshore. I am not trying to hide anything but it is unfair if the whole world turned up in one spot!

If you look at some of the best big kingfish locations in this country 2 spots come to mind. One is Port Augusta and the other is Coffin bay. Both are shallow inshore waters. Coffin bay only averages 3m but kings over 40kgs are caught there. You should never over look any water and any depth as kings are very versatile and can live even in a sewer if there is food.

Our harbour has its share of big fish as well as our offshore waters. The fishing pressure in Sydney is immense compared to other parts of our country. 20kg fish rountinely cruise our shores but are hyper educated. You really need to fish with all the stealth and cunning to have a shot at these fish around Sydney. Of course fishing is a funny game and you can just get lucky but to consistently catch the bigger fish in our waters, you need to do what others don't do!

Most "HOT" techniques have a used by date and no longer work once it becomes popular. I'd suggest you keep ahead of the pack.

Catching Sydney kings is great education. If you master the kings here then you will have little or no trouble tracking them down anywhere.

Whenever we go to places where the fishing pressure is far less we really have a field day :thumbup: Typically places like Jervis bay and port stephens come to mind. These country cousins are far easier to fool.But our home grown kings are a challenge that keeps me coming back day in day out.

If I get off my butt and take a few more photos from time to time then it will probably open the eyes of those people who think hoodlums only exist in other parts of the world.

Cheers kelvin

Edited by namesay

I had a great time fishing with you and Tony over the weekend Kelvin. It was a blast !!

regards

Mark

It was a pleasure having you around. Hope you enjoyed the sights. Am itching to get the new boat all designed and put into use. Kelvin

Folks,

You are spending too much time reading fourms and too much money in the tackle store.

Try spending spending more time on the water and you might actually land that hood.

Yakkaa

That sounds like pretty good advice.......But it is hard to go fishing for kings with a handline and the tackle industry is really hurting at the moment. We all need to support our local tackle stores otherwise they are out of business. This in the long term is detrimental to our favourite sport and pastime. Imagine if our tackle stores shut down. Where would a little kid start? Where would they get the inspiration? Where would you get the advice? Sure if you have been around, fishing is no brainer but for a beginner the advice you get from a tackle store is priceless.

I don't think you can spend TOO much money in a tackle store! It supports an aussie institution.. might even turn the economy around.

We already have the greens trying to lock us out of our fishing spots. Water pollution ruining our fish habitats. Over population. Over exploitation of our fisheries..etc.

Perhaps by reading a simple fishing report like this you get fired up to get out there,or get a small piece of the puzzle that is fishing or even see what is achieveable in our local waters then it is time well spent.

I write these reports from time to time not to prove anything or make any money or for notoriety but to help promote our sport and because Stewy is a good guy!. My mates already know what I get up to and I really really hate being noticed. I don't like revealing the methods and spots which have taken almost 4 decades to develop however, Rec fishing is facing its darkest hour.

We have to fight off the forces which seek to destroy our sport. In a forum like this we are all batting on the same side. Rather than making dismissive comments perhaps a positive attitude will mean more people will enjoy this great sport.

After all these years of wetting a line, fishing isn't JUST about catching fish. It is about your mates, the scenery, the tackle, the boats...... and even forums! Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay