Batemans Bay (where are the big fish)

brecko90

DAY 1

Ok so headed down to Batemans bay last week arriving Tuesday arvo, set my self up in the cabin at the coach house and thought a spot of fishing was in order so went to the local tackle shop to get my block of pillies, and all the other gear i needed, the gentleman in the shop suggested i buy a bait jig and head to the wharf to catch some yakkas. After about 15 mins a had a few ready for the nights fishing, i headed back to the cabin, had a feed then hit the rock wall. Put out 1 livie and filleted the other yakkas for bait. Landed 4 flathead in total for the session the biggest only going to 33cm the other 3 were all at about the 25cm mark, and nothing on the livie.

DAY 2

Had a round of golf in the morning didnt play well at all, so i thought id have a relaxing fish in the arvo again. got myself some live bait and headed to the very end of the rock wall hoping to catch something. i through the 1st bait out and put the rod in the holder to bait up a livie and before i can blink its buckled over pull it is to find a flathead going 35cm, i let him go thinking this was going to be a good session. 3 hours past and nothing. i was getting ready to pack up and i felt a nibble and strike, pulled up a talior only 28cm but put up a good fight on my light rod. so again i went back to the cabin dissapointed that i had no fish for dinner that night.

Day 3

Played golf again in the morning had a much better round this time :biggrin2: but the fish were still evading me, thought i try the main wharf this time so again got some livies, put one out unweighed and just filleted the others, picked up a few small bream but nothing would of gone over 25cm so left disappointed again and wondering where all the fish were.

Day 4 (final day)

golf again even better this time shooting 2 under off the stick :thumbup: but still wanted those bigger fish. i headed to the bridge on and fished under it on the Sydney side as a fellow fishraiders has suggested that spot to me. things started off a bit slow as the tide was ripping through the area but as it slowed and began to turn the bite really came on, caught a variety of fish including flathead, dreaded toad and puffer fish, bream, trevally and leather jacket. but again the fish all had no size to them. maybe its the cold water or im just out of luck and didnt know the right spots but i couldnt believe it. used salted pillies for bait this time they seamed to like them more that the yakka fillets.

All in All i had a good trip good golf, good fishing despite the lack of size around but was still catching fish which is the main thing. sorry there are no pics but i thought who wants to see small fish haha i was hoping to land a big one to show you guys.

Sounds like you had a good time though.

I've only fished Batemans Bay a couple of time, one was on a charter boat, they other was from a friends boat (never land base), but by boat, there was plenty of good fish out in the reef (wrasse, mowies, and snapper), or in the bay for flatties.

Will be there for 7 nights between Christmas and New Years, and we will have our boat with us!