Brooklyn Marina

Mr.KingSpooled

G'Day raiders,

Ok situation, I'm taking my little brother out on a BBQ boat with a few of his mates for his birthday this weekend.

We will be hiring from Brooklyn Marina so we will be restricted to staying within the limits of where we can take the boat.

I was hoping some of you guys could help me out with fishing this area as I haven't done much fishing here at all.

My little brother is keen as mustard for fishing but he has never bagged anything big, he's always catching whiting and little bream that he enjoys but nothing that will test his skill and make him happy to keep in the esky n take home for a feed.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction on bait, location, style of fishing and what I'm looking at most likely catching. Any effective method would be great.

Any help is appreciated. All PMs are welcome also.

Thanks heaps in advanced raiders,

Jez

Edited by Mr.KingSpooled

Hey jez,

From my gps on my boat, it says the small boat/house boat plying limit is just after Juno point.

With that in mind, theres still heaps of spots to go fishing.

I reckon having a drift along the channel from juno to the rail bridge will turn up some good flatties. And have your jew outdit ready to go aswell, i would suggest leave a bait out, put it on bait runner and srt and forget.

Soft plastics such as shads work well in that same area.

You could also fish under the rail bridge but dont anchor, i assume the bbq boat have a sand anchor which will get stuck under the bridge lol.

You can also head the opposite direction and try bar point for flatties and jewies. Also troll all the rick faces along the way for chopper tailor and pike. Use lures such as divin hard bodies (rapala x wrap 15 should be perfect).

The bream should also be on. cast vibes at the oyster encrusted rocks which are along the banks of where brooklyn boat ramp is heading towards bar point.

Also the oyster leases are really good for bream but will be difficult without an electric. cast squidgies such as the bugs on resin heads or hooks at the leases and TIGHTEN up that drag lol.

You can also cast lures for bream at the rocks on the left hand side of the rail bridge, ive caught soe of my biggest bream there.

Hope this helps dude, anymore info pm me or give us a call.

Stan

I reckon having a drift along the channel from juno to the rail bridge will turn up some good flatties. And have your jew outdit ready to go aswell, i would suggest leave a bait out, put it on bait runner and srt and forget.

Soft plastics such as shads work well in that same area.

Thumbs Up for this one... there are some nice flatties on the south and west sides of Dangar Island on the edge of the channel. I've drifted through there with prawn and sliced squid baits for flathead. Soft plastics in the Berkely Swimming Mullet and 4" Minnow have worked for me too. I'm partial to the neuclear chicken colours, especially in the muddy water. I just drop them out behind and let them run along the bottom with the drift. You'll need a heavy joghead if the current is running strong.

some good advice there jez was out there last weekend. heaps of flaties drifting using whole prawns or half pilies.just drift anywere near the green chanel markers near juno point going down towards danger isl north side does not mater what tide or time of day.also as mike said take your crabs with you i caught 8 of them. good luck peter

Ok no worries thanks for all the helpful info guys !!

My plan now is to take prawns,squid and some pillies.

A few 4-5inch swim shads and possibly my jewy gear just incase!!

Would it be worth taking some larger trolling lures ?? Will a Jew hit a trilled lure ??

Also with the crab traps, I've got 2 or 3 medium sizers so I'll take that with me, what is good bait to use for this ? I've never tried fishing for crabs before so would be pretty awesome to give it a go aswell!!

Thanks again raiders !!

Edited by Mr.KingSpooled

So basically bait wise I'd best be going with hawkesbury prawns and hawkesbury squid ??

And with the plastic light and heavy jig heads matched with 4inch and 5inch swim shads in a few different colours ??

Yeh dude sounds good. Get your hawkesbury prawns from the bait and tackle store down at the boat hire.

prawns pillies and mullet work well. dont use huge peices of mullet as you might attract some unsavoury shark or rays lol.

Let me know how u go

Yeh dude sounds good. Get your hawkesbury prawns from the bait and tackle store down at the boat hire.

prawns pillies and mullet work well. dont use huge peices of mullet as you might attract some unsavoury shark or rays lol.

Will do man !! Unfortunately we are going the week after as all the boats we are after have been booked out !! Oh well it's only an extra 7 days wait.

I'm still keen to head down this weekend n jus hire a to now for the day at the same place !! Anyone who's interested in joinin is most welcome just pm me and ill give you details.

The tinnie holds 4 and so far it's me n a mate going !!

Keep me updated guys

Let me know how u go

+1 for South West dangar island. It is my neverfail spot. You'll mainly get Bream, Flathead and Whiting around this time of year. Definitely drop a crab pot near here too. There should be a good supply of blue swimmers around. Prawns and unweighted whitebait will do the trick as well as 3-4" squidgees as previously mentioned. The bridge is worth a shot with a jewie outfit. Fish the tide changes with a whole squid or live mullet and i would be surprised if you didn's see any action. There are bream if you drift along the Long island nature reserve with prawns. Road bridge has bream and jewies.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

Hi Jez

Crab traps and/or nets are definitely worth a go. Even if you catch just a few they make the day a little extra special. If you want to give your brother a chance at connecting with a good fish, than the humble flathead is probably your best bet. Find a spot (or) several, put down a steady fish berley on the bottom and have some quality baits down there too. Live poddies, yakkas or herring are great but fresh pillies and other fish are good too. Dont fish too heavy and 12 - 15lb line is the most you will need. A jewie will often pick up these baits. With baits set you can fish plastics or float fish for garies which are around the hawkesbury at the moment. Most of the spots mentioned are good - best of luck to all.

So basically bait wise I'd best be going with hawkesbury prawns and hawkesbury squid ??

And with the plastic light and heavy jig heads matched with 4inch and 5inch swim shads in a few different colours ??

I gave up buying bait prawns ages ago. I get the cheap raw banana prawns from woolies or coles, they're half the price, and fished peeled and cut in half they get as many fish as a the hawkesbury bait prawns. My partner got her first jewfish on saturday using this bait, but it wasn't quite legal unfortunately. She was quite upset when I threw it back.

Squid I would get the packaged bait ones, although I did do well buying medium sized whole squid from a fish market too. Again it worked out cheaper buying them loose.

Where would I find yakkas and poddys ?? Never fished the hawkesbury for yakkas !! Same principal as anywhere else ?? Cut in half bait jig with some slithers of salted pilly and just barley them up ??

Cheers for all the info fellaz will come in handy tomorrow on the hawkesbury

just off the wobby wharf is a good spot for yakkas on the top of the tide. Thrown some unweighed prawns towards the wharf itself as a few bream are often hanging around. Don't worry about poddies as you probably won't have time to fish for them> perhaps next occassion

took me young lad up to kangaroo pt wharf tonite well from 6-8pm

landed some small squire/flathead/flounder and tailor

fish were coming on as we left

guys next to us bagged 2 flattys 45cm plus within 10 minutes of showing

they also mentioned that last saturday some guys were catching heaps of school jew around 5kg on squid

gonna hit it up again for an allniter in a few weeks

small ? are throw nets legal in nsw

the guys near us used one to grab some baitfish

i know years ago they were illegal has this changed !

oh and the servo prawns are a bloody disgrace atm

Edited by mtcolah