Finding live bait in Cowan

Alastair

Just a quick question for the Cowan regulars:

I usually fish Cowan in the evenings, launching about 5, and running out maybe as far as Cowan Point, coming back around 10.

Given the small size of my tinnie, I don't really have the time to make the run the whole way to the West Head bait grounds, particularly if there is a chop running.

What are the best options to pick up either squid or yakkas in the area from JB out to Eleanor Beach.

Also, some suggestions on where to soak them in the same area :biggrin2:

regards

Alastair

Many thanks for the help guys. Weather permitting I'll be heading out again Fri arvo, so will try these out.

If im coming from brooklyn way as soon as i turn into cowan that point there i always catch yakkas i anchor just inside the point

Is this the point on the right, as you turn out of the Hawkesbury channel, or the point on the left, near JB?

Right before entering to Smiths Creek right hand side for yakkas, berley with bread. Little JB drop offs for squid.

I guess this is near where the direction sign is on the point opposite Cottage Point?

Again thanks,

Alastair

I reckon that I'm just a Jonah when it comes to this. :ranting2:

Tried the Eleanor Point to Shark point area on Friday arvo/evening, all points, with bread and cat food, with not a sight of the little b*ggers.

Just have to keep trying till I get the trick.

regards

Alastair

Thats cowan mouth i burley with catfood in the can the fish 1 it usualy takes 5 to 10 min than i use a bait jig with little pieces of pilchard on them have 1 near the bottom 1 half way up the little pieces of pilchard on the hooks make a big difference

Thanks PHD,

I didn't get that far up, as the easterly was cooking when I went out.

I tried both bare and baited bait jigs w/o success.

One possibility was that I was surface burleying, and there was a fair current, so possibly not getting the burley down enough.

Do you punch holes in the can and dunk it?

thanks

Alastair