Rats Galore

tentonner

Gday raiders, managed to get out this morning with dad. With the abysmal reports of squid around we didn't try too hard with the squid, and resorted to yakkas. ended up gettin about 15 yakkas but most were horses so wasn't too confident. Met up with Josh88 and he said they were headed to Longy so thought I may as well go to. Pretty much as soon as we got there everyone was hooking up, we caught them today trolling yakkas, drifting yakkas on soft plastics and I puled out a little 80g knife jig and was outfishing the livies about 4:1. From what everyone said they were all rats today (i managed one keeper of 67cm, the rest were too small). Fun way to spend the morning but can't wait to start some cracking some bigger models.

post-8401-019374700 1320980637_thumb.jpg

post-8401-076792900 1320980707_thumb.jpg

I was lucky enough to be doing an aerial run in a Cessna today down that coast. There was about 9 boats or so that I counted huddled together off longy? I dont spose that was where you were? I believe I also spotted a pro there as well?

Also for anyone interested in Aussie Salmon, Wattamalla heads (North Side)is holding a school the size of a football field. They are THICK!

Edited by Salmon_Hunter

we were out at long reef as well but stayed away from the huddle ... landed 9 with 4 keepers plus we had 2 big bust offs. also got a couple of bonito and rat kingies trolling near north head on the way back. what a great day to be out on the water!!!

I was lucky enough to be doing an aerial run in a Cessna today down that coast. There was about 9 boats or so that I counted huddled together off longy? I dont spose that was where you were? I believe I also spotted a pro there as well?

Also for anyone interested in Aussie Salmon, Wattamalla heads (North Side)is holding a school the size of a football field. They are THICK!

Salmon-Hunter,

Thanks for the aerial reconnaissance. Any chance this would be a Friday arvo regular feature :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

Regards Kit

ps tentonner Thanks for the report.

tentonner, well done!. Looks like you were using very light gear, rod looks very light! wondering what u were playing with. Looks like good fun.

Salmon Hunter, saw you fly by heading sth. We were off Nth Bondi, nice day for a fly and a fish!

Gday raiders, managed to get out this morning with dad. With the abysmal reports of squid around we didn't try too hard with the squid, and resorted to yakkas. ended up gettin about 15 yakkas but most were horses so wasn't too confident. Met up with Josh88 and he said they were headed to Longy so thought I may as well go to. Pretty much as soon as we got there everyone was hooking up, we caught them today trolling yakkas, drifting yakkas on soft plastics and I puled out a little 80g knife jig and was outfishing the livies about 4:1. From what everyone said they were all rats today (i managed one keeper of 67cm, the rest were too small). Fun way to spend the morning but can't wait to start some cracking some bigger models.

post-8401-019374700 1320980637_thumb.jpg

post-8401-076792900 1320980707_thumb.jpg

Hey tentonner

When you mention "Long reef" do you mean " long reef wall or long reef wide ? do you know where I could get Gps co-ordinates for the location. Thanks

Kilp

Hey tentonner

When you mention "Long reef" do you mean " long reef wall or long reef wide ? do you know where I could get Gps co-ordinates for the location. Thanks

Kilp

Just follow the flotilla of boats.

Sounds like you had fun tentonner!

Edited by fishmaniac

Just follow the flotilla of boats.

Sounds like you had fun tentonner!

yeh haha sorry mate i dont have gps co ords for that but it wasn't out wide and we just sounded out a fairly large area and would drop where we marked fish, however like fishmaniac says just follow the masses out there and you'll see where everyone is hooking up!

tentonner, well done!. Looks like you were using very light gear, rod looks very light! wondering what u were playing with. Looks like good fun.

Salmon Hunter, saw you fly by heading sth. We were off Nth Bondi, nice day for a fly and a fish!

hey mate the combo is a stradic ci4 4000 with 30lb tufline and a Sakana Zion 10-17lb stick. Yeh mate was a blast on that gear, the zions got such a good blank and the ci4 is so light so yeh was a lot of fun. After a while you get sick of skull dragging 60cm rats on 50lb braid and 80lb trace locked up!

Just got back from a 4 hour session of long reef and ended up with a donut. Fished everywhere wide, wall and even went to check out a few wrecks. I think i must have the worst luck. Did anyone else try today. I did see 2 other boats but didn't look like anyone was getting anything.

Yee

Just got back from a 4 hour session of long reef and ended up with a donut. Fished everywhere wide, wall and even went to check out a few wrecks. I think i must have the worst luck. Did anyone else try today. I did see 2 other boats but didn't look like anyone was getting anything.

Yee

Thats a surprise.

What time were you out there?

What technique were you using?

Did you try livies, squid, etc?

J

hey mate the combo is a stradic ci4 4000 with 30lb tufline and a Sakana Zion 10-17lb stick. Yeh mate was a blast on that gear, the zions got such a good blank and the ci4 is so light so yeh was a lot of fun. After a while you get sick of skull dragging 60cm rats on 50lb braid and 80lb trace locked up!

good job on the kings mate...

were you using this outfit when you dropped the 80g knife jig down? If so, how did it handle jigging this lure weight?

I'm heading out to our FAD in Forster this week hoping to tangle with some kingies that have shown up. Just got a sweet G Loomis force light 12-20lb 7'3" stick (for a bargain) and was tossing up whether to drop similar size knife jigs and 85g raiders on this running 30lb braid. I'll mainly be using it to toss big plastics at the FAD, but thought I'd give the metal option a whirl also.

Did it feel like you were going to bust your rod?

Cheers

Tom

Edited by fisheyes85

Thats a surprise.

What time were you out there?

What technique were you using?

Did you try livies, squid, etc?

J

We were there from 6am - 11am. Used fresh squid and pillies as baits. Used a few different lures. No lives though, we lost our anchor so we couldnt anchor up to get em.

What was everyone else using? Very disappointed with todays result.

Yee

1321257439[/url]' post='422787']

Used fresh squid and pillies as baits. Very disappointed with todays result.

Yee

Yee when you say fresh squid do you mean "fresh squid" you caught yourself or fresh you bought somewhere? if its not freshly caught I.e you bought it I wouldnt bother using it. Learn how to catch livies and your kingy catch rate will soon go up. If you are on the water early at 6am at this time of year you should be able to get a tank full of livies in about 10 minutes! Also by anchoring you are cutting down your chances - sound around and find the fish and then start dropping livies on them or plastics etc those are just my observations - others might say different.

Better luck next time you head out

Hey Jim,

Yeah the bait i used was frozen dead baits i had. We couldn't get live baits because we lost our anchor as soon as we got there, so the lives idea when out the door. I guess i should have known we would of had a bad day since we didnt have any lives.

We did also try 5" plastics without any success either. Oh wells maybe next time.

Im thinking i should buy a down rigger. Is this a must for targeting kings?

1321260224[/url]' post='422796']

Im thinking i should buy a down rigger. Is this a must for targeting kings?

no. It does help at times but you will still catch plenty without.

Where did you try for livies? Plenty of spots you can get em without anchoring....

We were there from 6am - 11am. Used fresh squid and pillies as baits. Used a few different lures. No lives though, we lost our anchor so we couldnt anchor up to get em.

What was everyone else using? Very disappointed with todays result.

Yee

I was off north head this morn and the rats were going nuts on the live yaks.