Using circle hooks for Jew?

onearmedfisho

Hey Raiders, im just wondering if many other raiders use circle hooks when fishing for Jew? I have only ever used suicide or live bait hooks but thought circle hooks might be better.

I know the advantages of circles is that you dont really need to strike as the fish normally hook themselves in the corner of the mouth, but im just wondering if circle hooks would be a better option which could result in more hook ups?

I generally fish with squid, slab baits and sometimes live yakkas...

Appreciate your thoughts/help....

Give them a go mate! I do all my live baiting with circle hooks. They work a treat. Should be perfect for squid and slab baits too. Depending on the size of the squid i would consider a two hook rig using circles. Will work on jews no problem!

Hey Beejay,

I've only just converted over to circle hooks for livebaiting jewies... I've caught them on live bait hooks and suicides, but have missed many more then I have hooked- still learning the art of when to strike. I figure it will be good to do away with striking and let the powerful run and the recurve hook do the job (no proof of this for me yet, however!) There is a big post on this matter in the Jewfish tactics forum which convinced me to change over.

I'm heading out this afternoon, so hopefully give you some real feedback!

Cheers

Tom

Hi Beejay,

I love the Circles for the jew and use a similar rig to that mentioned by Catchin Jack above with a Circle on the top then a suicide or livebait hook on the bottom, only difference is that i have the top hook fixed not slidding. This has come from trying out many many different setups and seems to give me the best results. My reasoning for the circle on top is that i use this to pin the bait, either through the hood of the squid / corner of the slab / mouth of a butterflyed yaka which leaves the gape nicely exposed. This hook generally seems to do the job on larger fish that take the whole bait down easily. I then have the second hook nicely down near the head of the squid or inside the slab/butterfly and often find that this hook snares the smaller fish that fumble around with baits or just bite the head off your squids or chunks off your slabs. I fish with the rods in full drag and just let the fish hook themsleves.

Rich

Hi Beejay,

I love the Circles for the jew and use a similar rig to that mentioned by Catchin Jack above with a Circle on the top then a suicide or livebait hook on the bottom, only difference is that i have the top hook fixed not slidding. This has come from trying out many many different setups and seems to give me the best results. My reasoning for the circle on top is that i use this to pin the bait, either through the hood of the squid / corner of the slab / mouth of a butterflyed yaka which leaves the gape nicely exposed. This hook generally seems to do the job on larger fish that take the whole bait down easily. I then have the second hook nicely down near the head of the squid or inside the slab/butterfly and often find that this hook snares the smaller fish that fumble around with baits or just bite the head off your squids or chunks off your slabs. I fish with the rods in full drag and just let the fish hook themsleves.

Rich

Thank guys, much appreciated. Anyone else want to contribute?

Rich, when you say you fish with the rods in full drag, do you mean full fighting drag? I normally fish with my rods in gear but with a relatively loose drag and then when i get a run i tighten the drag before i try and set the hooks. Is this not what you guys would be doing?

Thanks in advance...

Thank guys, much appreciated. Anyone else want to contribute?

Rich, when you say you fish with the rods in full drag, do you mean full fighting drag? I normally fish with my rods in gear but with a relatively loose drag and then when i get a run i tighten the drag before i try and set the hooks. Is this not what you guys would be doing?

Thanks in advance...

Nope i have mine set at full fight drag and just let the fish hook itself as it takes off, this works well with circles. Can make catching smaller models (<65cm) a bit of an anti-climax as they struggle to take much line against heavy drag. I should note also that most of my fishing is done in areas of deep water with little to no current so i have the baits free weighted and sitting on the bottom which results in a small ammount of slack line which the fish can run with before it hits the drag and this may help. On the occasions when i have used this technique in areas with current it has still produced well though.

Also, my main mate i fish with uses very light drag exactly as you say and we both seem to have nights where ours is the method that works better, although i personally think i have missed fewer takes over the time than he has.

Rich

If you have a circle hook on the top and a suicide on the bottom, how do you know whether or not to strike?

I dont strike, 90% of the time a jew will hook itself and head for the horizon straight off. For that 10% of time they muck abouts with it i find a slow solid lift will set either the hook just fine most of the time. Only reason i dont use a circle on the bottom hook is that i like to have this hook set in the squids head or the middle of a slab and i believe this would affect the action and close off to much of the gape of the circle. At the end of the day i reckon you could ask 100 fishos and get 100 different answers, this system is just the one i have settled on for now after trying many other rigs.

Rich

Nope i have mine set at full fight drag and just let the fish hook itself as it takes off, this works well with circles. Can make catching smaller models (<65cm) a bit of an anti-climax as they struggle to take much line against heavy drag. I should note also that most of my fishing is done in areas of deep water with little to no current so i have the baits free weighted and sitting on the bottom which results in a small ammount of slack line which the fish can run with before it hits the drag and this may help. On the occasions when i have used this technique in areas with current it has still produced well though.

Also, my main mate i fish with uses very light drag exactly as you say and we both seem to have nights where ours is the method that works better, although i personally think i have missed fewer takes over the time than he has.

Rich

No worries, thanks Rich. I might set up 1 or 2 rods as you do on a reasonably tight drag with circle hooks and keep other other rod as i have been. If im only using a single hook rig, would the circle hook still be suitable? (on a small size bait) and what about with a small live yakka? Or should i stick to a suicide???

No worries, thanks Rich. I might set up 1 or 2 rods as you do on a reasonably tight drag with circle hooks and keep other other rod as i have been. If im only using a single hook rig, would the circle hook still be suitable? (on a small size bait) and what about with a small live yakka? Or should i stick to a suicide???

Abbsolutely, just make sure that the hook is only just pinning the bait so that the gape is clear and dont strike. My only reason for a second hook is that i use biggish baits and too often a single hook see's you pulling in a bait bitten in half or pulled off the hook by smaller fish.

Rich

Abbsolutely, just make sure that the hook is only just pinning the bait so that the gape is clear and dont strike. My only reason for a second hook is that i use biggish baits and too often a single hook see's you pulling in a bait bitten in half or pulled off the hook by smaller fish.

Rich

Sweet as will do mate. Do you mainly fish the hacking or all over?

Hi Rich,

Headed out last night, lost one jew on a live herring - no circle hook, i have to give them a go. Also nailed another jew on SP 7 inch Gulp in camo. Not the biggest, went 60cm same place as the other week. Sorry i didn't call but it was a last minute decision. Fishing outside tomorrow (Sat) will let you know how i go .

Stew.

About 18 months ago i decided to trial circles on beach jew. After hearing all the hype i though it was to be a good thing. I got my fist hit shortly after dark on a XOS slab of Squid. I was holding the rod. On the hit i lowered the tip untill the fish come tight, and started playing the fish. No stiking, just as i had been told so many times before when fishing with circles. After a spirited tussel i had the spent Mulloway illuminated in my head torch beam amoungst the shore break. It was a reasonable fish, estimated at a little over a meter and 10-12kgs. I has keeping constant pressure on the fish while waitng for the right wave to beach my prize.... and the hook pulled!!

I had a smoke and yelled some profanities, re-baited, re-cast and jammed the rod on the rod holder. Got another hit 20mins later. The rod was in the rod holder this time. The rod buckled and was conceading line (under fighting drag) before i could remove it from the holder. The fish stripped 30-40 meters of 30lb braid before slowing. Then came the tell tale head shakes.

I began making some ground with the fish and had recovered most of the line yielded in the initial run.... and the hook pulled!!!!!

Sit down, Yell, roll smoke, yell some more... I was contemplating packing up and going to have a beer instead, but i was having one of the best jew bites i had ever had.

I could not retrieve my knife quick enough. I cut that rig off and relegated it to the bottom of my fishing bag (where i believe it still resides) and tied on a single 10/0 octopus hook. A rig which has brought me success so many times before. I threaded the hook through my squid offering. Not completely penetrating it but passing through it, so the shank sits inside the slab(The bait looks more natural that way). I then secured the top of the slab to my leader with an elasitic band and a bait needle and sent it out into the gutter. Half and hour later, not a touch. I retrieved my offering removed the tired old slab, and replaced it with a fresh one and sent it out. Not a touch. Brought it in, exchanged the bait with a freshie and sent it out. It wasn't looking like i was going to get much action, and with the tide receading and the gutter shallowing i was contemplating pulling the pin. With rod in had i got the bump i had anticipated for so long. I dropped the rod tip. the fish turned on the bait and the line come tight. I hit the bastard and i hit it hard. The rod dipped under the weight of a nice fish but it struggled to pull much line from my saltiga surf's grasp. The fish was overwhelmed by my tackle and was slide up the beach to meet one very relieved angler. The fish was around 80cms and 5ish kilos.

What i'm trying to say is use circles by all means.... but i will never target mulloway with them ever again!

Hi Rich,

Headed out last night, lost one jew on a live herring - no circle hook, i have to give them a go. Also nailed another jew on SP 7 inch Gulp in camo. Not the biggest, went 60cm same place as the other week. Sorry i didn't call but it was a last minute decision. Fishing outside tomorrow (Sat) will let you know how i go .

Stew.

Hey Stew,

Yeah mate i've havent been out for a jew or even a squid since our last trip as family and events keep getting in the way. Got a wedding this weekend too so going to be another weeks wait. What you up to the weekend of 3rd/4th december? May try and catch up for a session then. How did you go Saturday?

Rich

Edited by Mr Squidy