One Anchor for All Types of Bottom?

BFB

I need some advice on anchors. Yesterday whilst out fishing at Port Kembla I straightened my reef trying to hold the boat. Obviously the anchor was too small but I have always found it ackward storing 2 different types of anchors on the boat and then determining what the bottom was like for which one to be used.

So my question is: Is there a suitable anchor which can be used on all types of bottom structure so that only one anchor needs to be kept in the boat?

For information my boat is a 5.2 metres Haines Hunter.

Hi BFB

Think you will be struggling to find a one anchor solution - Reef picks are pretty useless in the sand so that counts them out. Sand anchors will have some problems un-attaching them selves from reef so you may end loosing a few of them. If you really just want one anchor then maybe a slip ring type anchor (that allows you to change the direction of pull on the anchor to free it up) might work for you.

Personally I hate stuck anchors and anchors that struggle to hold so I would stick with what is known to work.

Sure others will have better ideas about this.

Cheers

Blood Knot

having lost an anchor recently, I've done a bit of research. The result (in my opinion) is that multiple anchors are required (unfortunately). When I recently lost my sand anchor on reef, I had the cable tie method in place, and I'm confident that the tie broke (115hp vs cable tie wins!) but that damn anchor just wouldnt come. Cooper anchors look great, but at $129, I'd be too worried putting it down on a reef, even though they recommend the cable tie method and suggest that this will get it off anything. I cant afford to lose that.

So what I reckon we need is some very smart fishraider to come up with a retractable reef anchor, where the tines retract back into the shaft when not in use. That would make them easy to store away, so that I dont catch my shins/knees/fishing line/rod on it every time I turn around. I've seen small grapple hook anchors around for yaks, but only up to around 5 pounds, maybe just a bigger version??

fryboy

A grapple anchor would lose all the benefits of reef anchor retrieval but not replace a sand anchor.

What you would want is a double hinge knuckle of some sort between the shaft and tines. One knuckle is softly sprung so you can fold the tines against the shaft for storage, and the other strongly sprung so it takes some effort to open the other way when retrieving.

I can visualise it but no idea how you'd make it! (I'm a thinker not a do-er haha)