Albies

Secho

Headed out last Friday and found a heap of live bait right along the coastline from Botany.. had a quick shot at it but didnt get onto any Kingies - perhaps a bit too keen to get a spread out and look for the temp break.

Ended up trolling from Sydney to the bait station then to browns then out to the hill.. managed three albies just before dark at heatons and something had a good chew on the witchdoctor as well.

Plenty of bait:

post-10991-014417600 1321863231_thumb.jpg

Three albies:

post-10991-047017700 1321863258_thumb.jpg

A chew on the witchdoctor:

post-10991-070364500 1321863282_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Marty

Hi Secho,

I have a witchdoctor with similiar injuries. If you look closely at the damage it will give clues as to the culprit. Serated damage to the wood and especially the reflector probably indicates a fairly feisty marlin that has taken some time to wack the teaser. If you put these style of teasers in the water you must keep a keen eye on them (as they swim well under the water) and ensure you place a skirt just behind (not in front) - ideally a switch to a bait would have seen a result. I know it is easy to say especially during a long session trolling when your mind and concentration turns to other things - music, war stories, sleeping, eating, a few ales, etc. I rarely use the witchdoctor and prefer a large bird splashing on the surface. Everyone has their reasons and spreads that work for them.

I also notice you have the teaser rigged with the 1000lb s/s cable - personally I find this a little dangerous as if it wraps the prop you are buggered and can damage the engine, not to mention the drama at cutting it off at sea. I prefer to use good quality cord which won't damage the engine and is easily cut off and removed.

Nice to see a result with a few ablies.

Regards,

Rabs

G'day secho

Ill second rabs as I've heard many a tail of witchdoctors getting taken by huge makos which have actually snapped bollards or ripped cleats out. A lot of people have reccomended running teasers off heavy mono or cord to make the teaser semi-sacrificial. So if something won't let go you will loose the teaser without damaging your boat.

Great to see there's a few Alvie's around...doesn't look like the weather will be playing ball this weekend. SPEWING!!!

Cheers Leo

Cheers Leo

Thanks boys, appreciate the tips.

We've lost 2 pakula diggers and one other witchdoctor thus the reason for the cable.. I find that they always give way at either the snap swivel they use or the standard rope that it comes on gets a few nicks in it then gives way when something has a snap at it. The cable could definately be a problem for the props though... a switch to heavy leader is on the cards.

Cheers

Thanks boys, appreciate the tips.

We've lost 2 pakula diggers and one other witchdoctor thus the reason for the cable.. I find that they always give way at either the snap swivel they use or the standard rope that it comes on gets a few nicks in it then gives way when something has a snap at it. The cable could definately be a problem for the props though... a switch to heavy leader is on the cards.

Cheers

Hi Marty

Never again will I ever run a cable connected to a witch doctor!!!!!!!!!!!

A few years back running up the 150 fathom line inside browns, with a spread out aimed for Y/Fin.

When I hear a shout “what the” from the guy sitting alongside me in the passenger seat I spin around to see a hole in the water at the back of the boat the size you could comfortably fit a V Duv into and the cable abruptly snaps tight, So violently it throws me out of the helm chair onto the back deck that lurch experienced was the result of the boat literally being stopped dead in its tracks and then catapulting forward and I am talking 2.5 tonnes of boat......the cable however still remained intact and what happened next still haunts me to this day.

A brute of a mako......... with head and shoulders and piercing eyes the size of dinner plates complete with blue cable exiting out his mouth surfaced out of the water no more than ten foot behind the boat.

He then exploded turning the ocean into foam from head shaking (much similar to how you see a bull terrier play with a cuddly toy except he wasn’t playing)

He was intent on ravaging and tearing apart anything he was going to come in contact with...Fortunately for us at this moment the cable snapped and all that was left then was to comptemplate in what could of been ......And I readily admit in it being a scary experience.....still wear the scars today of a bent cleat that was designed in lifting the boat out the water and a promise to myself only to use cord in connecting witchdoctors in the future......To only lose another one the very next trip out to something else that took a liking to it ....so yes I suppose it can get a bit expensive but I do feel a lot more comfortable all the same......... I certainly would not wish that experience on anybody else.

Cheers Warnie

Great stuff, keep coming..Did u get the albies jigging or vining?

On the troll.. one took a pakula soft tease changa in illusion, one took a bibless diver in purple and the other a goldish coloured JB custom - decent school of them, all 3 hit at once.

Edited by Secho

Hi Marty

Never again will I ever run a cable connected to a witch doctor!!!!!!!!!!!

A few years back running up the 150 fathom line inside browns, with a spread out aimed for Y/Fin.

When I hear a shout “what the” from the guy sitting alongside me in the passenger seat I spin around to see a hole in the water at the back of the boat the size you could comfortably fit a V Duv into and the cable abruptly snaps tight, So violently it throws me out of the helm chair onto the back deck that lurch experienced was the result of the boat literally being stopped dead in its tracks and then catapulting forward and I am talking 2.5 tonnes of boat......the cable however still remained intact and what happened next still haunts me to this day.

A brute of a mako......... with head and shoulders and piercing eyes the size of dinner plates complete with blue cable exiting out his mouth surfaced out of the water no more than ten foot behind the boat.

He then exploded turning the ocean into foam from head shaking (much similar to how you see a bull terrier play with a cuddly toy except he wasn’t playing)

He was intent on ravaging and tearing apart anything he was going to come in contact with...Fortunately for us at this moment the cable snapped and all that was left then was to comptemplate in what could of been ......And I readily admit in it being a scary experience.....still wear the scars today of a bent cleat that was designed in lifting the boat out the water and a promise to myself only to use cord in connecting witchdoctors in the future......To only lose another one the very next trip out to something else that took a liking to it ....so yes I suppose it can get a bit expensive but I do feel a lot more comfortable all the same......... I certainly would not wish that experience on anybody else.

Cheers Warnie

Cheers Warnie - Bet you wont go forgetting that in a hurry!

Hi Secho,

thanks for sharing. At least your day was not a waste and you got some fish.

I must say though that the photo of the 3 albies - they would easily be amoungst some of the biggest albies i have ever seen and if it were me i certainly would not be disappointed with 3 albies like that, and i probably would of kept them for some nice meals which i am sure you kept them

Edited by Sam-8862