Lowrance HDS5 Tips & Tricks?

Catchin Jack

G'day jack

Trying to get mine running better as well. Apparently the software update from Lowrance makes a huge difference. Will be installing it myself this weekend so can get back to you the weekend after.

Good luck

Cheers Leo

Cheers Leo

G'day Jim

I've currently got a hds 5x (just fish finder and the only unit without a ad card slot for upgrading) and having a few dramas getting it as clear as I hoped. After talking to a mate he had the same problem, and the upgrade made a huge impact on how the sounder works.

Apparently there was a few bugs in the original software and the upgrade fixes a lot of those issues. You will need to buy a blank sd card (not micro sd) cost me about $20 for a 4gb card, which was overkill. And download a program off the downloads section Lowrance website. There is instructions for pc/Mac on there.

Cheers Leo

Cheers Leo

• 4 weeks later...

G'day Jim

I've currently got a hds 5x (just fish finder and the only unit without a ad card slot for upgrading) and having a few dramas getting it as clear as I hoped. After talking to a mate he had the same problem, and the upgrade made a huge impact on how the sounder works.

Apparently there was a few bugs in the original software and the upgrade fixes a lot of those issues. You will need to buy a blank sd card (not micro sd) cost me about $20 for a 4gb card, which was overkill. And download a program off the downloads section Lowrance website. There is instructions for pc/Mac on there.

Cheers Leo

Cheers Leo

Hay Leo

Just read this thread and wanted to caution upgrading the software on the HDS 5X. I purchased a structure scan module for my 5x about a month ago and after purchasing, realised that I needed to upgrade the software on my 5X to version 2.5 The 5x was one of the early models (About 3 years old) and only had software version 1.6 loaded. Furtunately I took the HDS to the same dealer I purchased the structure scan unit from to fix and upload the new software for me. When loading and upgrading the software on the 5x, the sounder died, returning a blank screen that could not be rectified. The dealer told me that this has happened before and in my case despite the 5X being out of warranted, Lowrance replaced the unit with a HDS 5 unit free of charge. To cut a long story short I am not sure if I would have had the same response from Lowrance if I had have tried the process myself and had not been using a dealer,

I was stoked with the eventual outcome as I now have a new (possibly serviced HDS 5) sounder and GPS unit with structure scan. I love the SS unit and cant wait to deploy the unit operationally as I have been able to count tyres on the bottom of the local harbour with it on my first outing.

Anyway, just thought I should pass on my story to others that may be looking at upgrading the software on a HDS 5x sounder.

All the best and Merry Christmas - :thumbup:

Cheers Chunk

Hay Leo

Just read this thread and wanted to caution upgrading the software on the HDS 5X. I purchased a structure scan module for my 5x about a month ago and after purchasing, realised that I needed to upgrade the software on my 5X to version 2.5 The 5x was one of the early models (About 3 years old) and only had software version 1.6 loaded. Furtunately I took the HDS to the same dealer I purchased the structure scan unit from to fix and upload the new software for me. When loading and upgrading the software on the 5x, the sounder died, returning a blank screen that could not be rectified. The dealer told me that this has happened before and in my case despite the 5X being out of warranted, Lowrance replaced the unit with a HDS 5 unit free of charge. To cut a long story short I am not sure if I would have had the same response from Lowrance if I had have tried the process myself and had not been using a dealer,

I was stoked with the eventual outcome as I now have a new (possibly serviced HDS 5) sounder and GPS unit with structure scan. I love the SS unit and cant wait to deploy the unit operationally as I have been able to count tyres on the bottom of the local harbour with it on my first outing.

Anyway, just thought I should pass on my story to others that may be looking at upgrading the software on a HDS 5x sounder.

All the best and Merry Christmas - :thumbup:

Cheers Chunk

Goodonya Chunck - :1welcomeani: To Fishraider - great to see guys sharing info on their 1st post :thumbup:

Cheers Blood Knot

Hey guys,

Decided to update my fishfinder and went for the HDS5 combo with 83/200 transducer.

Does anyone owning these units have any tips or tricks to have them running at optimal settings etc?

Be interested to hear how you go with it Leo

I am looking at getting the HDS5 Combo shortly

Cheers Blood Knot

Hi Fishraiders,

I purchased a HDS5 combo about 10 months ago and since I purchased it there has been 2 software upgrades which I've done by downloading the update to an SD card and then updating the sounder. It has worked perfectly every time and the great thing about it is that every time you upgrade the software the unit ends up with a hand full of extra features.

I don't know about the HDS5X but with the combo it is very easy. Just go into the Australian Lowrance site www.lowrance.com.au/ then click on 'DOWNLOADS', 'PRODUCT SOFTWARE UPDATES' then just scroll about half way down till you get to 'HDS - ALL units - 4.0 software version and demonstration files' click on this and it will give you step by step instruction for PC or MAC system. Very easy to carry out.

I got myself an extra power lead well worth it. You can then play around with it at home whilst sitting around having a beer instead of wasting time on the boat. I got my lead of the shelf at $^%*&&($% but I can't remember how much I paid for it. Have fun it's a great little sounder. All I need now is the structure scan upgrade, maybe next year, mmmm only a week away......... :yahoo:

Hey guys i used to have the hds5x aswell i contacted navionics or navico at lane cove west there & because it was still under warranty they did the upgrade free, hell of a difference heaps better with the latest software.Prior to the upgrade i couldnt get clear images & lost bottom at about 4-500mtrs & after the upgrade i was picking up bottom while cubbing at 1400mtrs, but i do have a 1kw tm260 transducer.

But have since sold the unit to my cousin & upgraded to a hds8 awsome even better for the type of fishing i do.

I had a quick look at the HDS5 at my local tackle shop the other day and I'm undecided. They had an Elite 5 there as well, and that had the more traditional look to the screen that I'm used to seeing. Is this new style of imaging better?

Hey guys i have a HDS 7 in my boat which i bought 12 months ago (second hand) and after reading all this stuff about upgrading the software im keen to get it done does any one know were i could take it to get it done as i am not that good on computers

thanks mik

Edited by fishingmik

Well so far I'm not real impressed with the hds , more to come.

I like the idea of it, but is it true that it doesn't show fish? Also, you can't make it show a traditional screen, is that correct?

Very interested to hear what you think of it.

G'day

After plenty of messing round I now have the hds 5x and 7m installed connected and upgraded. Also all networked with the nmea 2000 system in the boat and it's great! The upgrade went very smoothly on both units. Simply followed the instructions off Lowrance.

There is a huge difference in the 5x after the upgrade I reckon. We were out at browns the other day and had no problem holding bottom up to about 6-700m at trolling speed and on the drift with the standard 50/200hz transducer. Also we are having much less trouble with screen clutter, (mainly on the surface). I've read the manuals cover to cover, and a few other books and it does take a fair bit of playing with the gain (sensitivity) mode, and also setting custom depth ranges. It's been a frustrating, but think I've finally ironed out the bugs.

Cheers Leo

I like the idea of it, but is it true that it doesn't show fish? Also, you can't make it show a traditional screen, is that correct?

Very interested to hear what you think of it.

My main concern is screen clutter, there's so much of it and it's supposed to already have latest update on it.

The mapping is very primitive compared to Navionics on my Android phone.

The transducer setting is very sensitive, maybe a trip to Huett Marine to get done properly may fix this.

Again, the amount of clutter makes it very hard to see anything.

Will have Huett Marine take a look at it and hopefully improve it, otherwise it's getting turfed and i'll go back to simplicity.

Any more word on the HDS5? I'm in a position where I could buy either that or the Elite 5 right now, and I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for the HDS5 Gen2, or just getting the Elite.

Still not sure about the imaging that the HDS shows. Is it any better than the traditional screen?

• 3 years later...

Guys ive had an issue after updating the software, the system has become rather slow and for some reason cannot input a name to waypoints or trails. The keyboard comes up however there is no enter button i can press to lock in the name. Pretty weird. Has anyone come across this issue before and know the solution. As for clutter ive been trolling offshore lately and have chnaged the setting to fast trolling and ammend the noise clutter and surface rejection to high however i still get alot of blue and light red clutter up to say 15m from the surface. What would be the best setting for offshore trolling with zoom in the top 50m. Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

victor