Sneaky Pittwater session before work

lure-n-fly

After a week of wind and rain, I had to fish with the weather looking so good this morning.

Like most, I have to work to fund my fishing, so I made a plan to flick some lures around Pittwater and be off the water in time to head to work. I hit the ramp at 4:45am and headed off into the darkness.

Just as the morning twilight began I could see there was bait nervously congregating around the edges.

I could also see the odd splash of feeding fish, but nothing schooling as yet.

I started casting a popper (Sebile Splasher) towards the bait was hit by a smallish fish on the first cast.

On the third cast I was hit again and hooked into a chopper tailor.

post-19557-049323900 1322454293_thumb.jpg

A couple more casts, another missed hit and the bait disappeared.

I motored around to another spot and found a school of fish actively feeding on the surface.

post-19557-048805700 1322454298_thumb.jpg

I cast out a squid fly which didn't get a hit. On retrieving about the tenth cast, I noticed the tip of my fly rod had broken off. Not sure how it happened, but after 12 years of service, I can't complain. On the bright side, I can get a new one now!

I swapped back to a spin rod and cast a 10gram Raider into the school. Instantly I hooked into a nice bonito.

post-19557-081604000 1322454307_thumb.jpg

The schooling fish sounded so I sat and waited for them to reappear whilst watching the glorious sun rise.

post-19557-023957300 1322454303_thumb.jpg

The school didn't come back up so I went in search of some more schools. It wasn't long before I found another school. The fish were moving fast and not staying up for very long. However, I managed a second fish before too long.

post-19557-076775000 1322454312_thumb.jpg

The time was now 6:30 and I had to make tracks to get the boat cleaned before work.

As I headed back to the ramp, I saw several more schools of bonito. It took all of my will power not to stop and cast at them.

Was a short, sharp session and I just managed to make it to work ontime at 8:30.

Didn't see any sign of kingfish, but the bonito were a pleasant surpise.

Well done mate! Pittwater is dead at the moment (Especially for kings) and you have done well to get a few fish. Lovely conditions. Wish i had the same luck today.. 4 hours at Balmoral, 3 yakkas, squid stealing the bait, howling onshore wind which mad casting VERY hard. Anyway, top effort.