Flies For Salmon?

Jaso

Guest Jocool

Jaso...Ken has written some info...HERE, HERE, and HERE!

As well as that, last year Narralakes, (Ken) had some luck Sambos on fly I believe. He may be able to offer some advice, :thumbup: but I think he has gone away for a week.

Guest bluecod
I'd like to have a shot at salmon on saltwater fly this season.. what kinds/colours of fly are a popular choice?

53615[/snapback]

Jaso,

I'll be having a good crack at them this year on fly for the first time and am building up a stock of Deceivers and Clousers in blue/white, chartreuse/white and plain white and also will be using glassie imitations which have a translucent body.

Hook sizes will be up to 2/0 as I find these easier to remove from my body than larger hooks. :risata::risata:

Guest MarkD
will be using glassie imitations which have a translucent body.

larger hooks.  :risata:  :risata:

53620[/snapback]

Hi George,

Can you elaborate on the glassie imitations, brand or a pic? Reason I ask is I was given a sample pack of saltwater flies when home in Ireland, they are made from an epoxy material and are translucent as you describe. I'll hopefully get the opportunity to try them out soon and would be interested to know if they are similar to yours.

I'd post a pic but the digital was left in Ireland :ranting2::ranting2:

Thanks

Mark

Guest bluecod
Hi George,

Can you elaborate on the glassie imitations, brand or a pic? Reason I ask is I was given a sample pack of saltwater flies when home in Ireland, they are made from an epoxy material and are translucent as you describe. I'll hopefully get the opportunity to try them out soon and would be interested to know if they are similar to yours.

I'd post a pic but the digital was left in Ireland  :ranting2:  :ranting2:

Thanks

Mark

53639[/snapback]

Sorry Mark I lost track of this post - below is a pic of professionally tied glass minnows (glassie) [mine are lousy compared to these as I'm experimenting with hot melt glue for a body] but gives you an idea of how to tie them. Narralakes has got some good examples with a predominant epoxy body coated over only a few strands of bucktail or polar fibre.

post-106-1119535426_thumb.jpg

post-106-1119536432_thumb.jpg

Edited by bluecod

Guest MarkD

Thanks George, the one's I picked up are similar, but dare I say "better" looking. They are designed for Sea Bass a N.Hemisphere species fished for off rocks and estuaries. I will bring them along to the social for opinions.

Can't wait for the salmon action. My suggestions are surf candies (epoxy body with chennile or other natural colour tails and paste on eyes), eyes (epoxy body, small hook paste on eyes), or the trusty clouser in chennile or white no need for weighted eyes just light bead chain eyes are fine and I reckon an intermediate floating line with a 1.5 to 2 metre fluro leader (like Vanish). Sorry for not including pics, I have some tied but no photos yet, just got back from a week on the Port and a bit buggered, I'll post something up.

Here are a couple of patterns that that I tied which were mentioned on the previous post. They work well on salmon, just do the old "match the hatch", these 3 would cover most salmon, but there's always room for more variations and different types of flies. The match will give you an idea of the size.

In order; eyes, candy, clouser. The candy and clouser will catch tailor as well, clouser will catch just about anything.

Edited by Narralakes

Guest bluecod

Like Narralakes I've been fooling around tying my own, though rather than use epoxy I've been experimenting with hot melt glue and whilst still in its infancy [few rough spots to sort out] they are quick and easy to tie

post-106-1119706652_thumb.jpg

Would you be suggesting to use floating or sinking line.

I started using a floating line on them & had good results but I found an intermediate line more useful. I found getting a fly a meter or so down under the surface action got more hits than one on the top. The intermediate line also casts better in the wind that comes up every time you reach for a fly rod.