Hows this for a mullet?

Fish on

we always see them jumping there but we could never hook one, i herd by a local that they are weed eaters. good get, ive got a pic of one free jumping and burn bridge, ill try to upload it,

well done

M8 I have never had a fish that took so much line.

I thought it was a big flatty it just ran and ran then went under the boat and went around the anchor rope I thought Id lost it for sure. I some how got my rod while the fish was taking line under the rope and keept fighting and finally got it in the boat. My dad and I couldnt belive our eyes.

M8 I have never had a fish that took so much line.

I thought it was a big flatty it just ran and ran then went under the boat and went around the anchor rope I thought Id lost it for sure. I some how got my rod while the fish was taking line under the rope and keept fighting and finally got it in the boat. My dad and I couldnt belive our eyes.

post-21047-044282200 1323079100_thumb.jpg

Mate, that is a horse!

We caught one like that at Lake Tyres 2 years ago. Using a 6kg rod, and 20lbs braid, this thing had the old man freaking out. They pull sooo hard for their size.

Next time there I'll try casting Sammy 65's at em. Apparently they chase them real hard.....

Great catch!

Mate, that is a horse!

We caught one like that at Lake Tyres 2 years ago. Using a 6kg rod, and 20lbs braid, this thing had the old man freaking out. They pull sooo hard for their size.

Next time there I'll try casting Sammy 65's at em. Apparently they chase them real hard.....

Great catch!

Yeah they go hard I caught this on 8lb power pro braid with 8lb leader on a Shimmano Raider 2 with a Penn Affinty 2000 reel. I felt every kick and every run I can tell you.

Really had to let the fish do anything it wanted and the whole time I was saying "Dont come off dont come off". LOL

here it is, these fish were jumping non stop, cant believe my mate got the pic.

we through everything at them, lures bait, float. they were going for the bugs that where sitting on the water.

need to lern how to fly fish hahahahah

post-19517-037843800 1323135893_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys

Grew up on Lake Mac years ago.

Some of the Bully Mullet there were to say the least absolutely awesomely big. And I mean 3 foot in lenght. I am talking 40 years ago here.

And being on the waterfront we always saw them happily jumping in the air. It was interesting to note that this was predominant in rainy weather. (Also note I/We may have only noticed this behaviour at this time because we were also housebound due to rainy weather.

Note the jumping thing is not primarily a "I am escaping from a predator thing".

I think they just like to do it, or just do it because they can. It does help to escape a predator but in Chain Valley Bay not too many of those suckers are there.

Also note that there is the annual Mullet run and Anglers in past years used to line the shores of the entrance and Swansea and cast barbed hooks out with a fast retrieve, and jagg the mullet as they were so thick in those days.

Can any of the Lake Mac/Tuggarah guys/gals report on current mullet runs since the Pro's have gone????

Note quite on topic but would be interesting to know.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

here it is, these fish were jumping non stop, cant believe my mate got the pic.

we through everything at them, lures bait, float. they were going for the bugs that where sitting on the water.

need to lern how to fly fish hahahahah

That's a great action pic mate.

Hi Guys

Grew up on Lake Mac years ago.

Some of the Bully Mullet there were to say the least absolutely awesomely big. And I mean 3 foot in lenght. I am talking 40 years ago here.

And being on the waterfront we always saw them happily jumping in the air. It was interesting to note that this was predominant in rainy weather. (Also note I/We may have only noticed this behaviour at this time because we were also housebound due to rainy weather.

Note the jumping thing is not primarily a "I am escaping from a predator thing".

I think they just like to do it, or just do it because they can. It does help to escape a predator but in Chain Valley Bay not too many of those suckers are there.

Also note that there is the annual Mullet run and Anglers in past years used to line the shores of the entrance and Swansea and cast barbed hooks out with a fast retrieve, and jagg the mullet as they were so thick in those days.

Can any of the Lake Mac/Tuggarah guys/gals report on current mullet runs since the Pro's have gone????

Note quite on topic but would be interesting to know.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

Trap, there are lots of mullet in the lake but I don't know about the run through the channel.

I too have seen this practice of "jagging" mullet with weighted trebles at Putty Beach and Hat Head, however dont anybody go out and try it as it is an illegal method.