The Place

barsam

There are a couple of reefs in close along that stretch and the GPS coords are not too hard to find online. I've been fishing the one dirctly out in front of the Catho wharf and bagged out on snapper there one day earlier this year. There are reefs all along the cliffs from north end of catho past spoon rocks, then more reef out from the north end of caves beach. There is a bait reef that comes up very shallow out in front of Blacksmith Surf Club and then more up the north end in front of Redhead Surf Club.

Once you go out a couple of ks it becomes a desert and the reef spots are very well kept secrets. I have been unable to find much structure at all, even in spots where it is supposed to be, hence my targeting flatties up here if I'm after a feed.

I cant make it this weekend but the weather gods and wife boss permitting next Saturday I am heading out from Swansea. I take it from Noodles reply staying within 2 ks is the best? Let us know how you get on Barsam, will be looking for your report.

I cant make it this weekend but the weather gods and wife boss permitting next Saturday I am heading out from Swansea. I take it from Noodles reply staying within 2 ks is the best? Let us know how you get on Barsam, will be looking for your report.

Not necessarily best but there is more reef easier to find in closer. Go out to the ships and you should bag out on flatties if your only after a feed. There are kings in close from the Island down along the reefs but I haven't seen anything like the beasts caught off Sydney just the other day.

Not necessarily best but there is more reef easier to find in closer. Go out to the ships and you should bag out on flatties if your only after a feed. There are kings in close from the Island down along the reefs but I haven't seen anything like the beasts caught off Sydney just the other day.

Ships?? Not familiar with this one, are you able to advise GPS Marker for it?

ships he's referring to are the coal ships anchored out wider i imagine :pokey:

That's right. When you go out you'll see a heap of coal ships waiting to load at Newcastle Port. They are anchored about 8km's or so out, in about 50m of water. You will find flatties absolutely anywhere out there. I've been dropping a sand anchor as the rock pick wont hold you and the drift is too fast. You'll catch little ones as well but be patient.

I've been getting them on pillies and mullet and remember that they are cannibals so don't be afraid to cut one up to catch 10 more. The biggest flatty I've ever seen caught was 1.2m long and it had a 450mm model head first down it's gob at Coffs Harbour.

Edited by Noodles