Rod for big baits

hambo692

Hey everyone

Looking for a rod at the moment to match to a Baitrunner 12000D with 50lb braid. It will be used mainly for casting livebaits for kings and jewies from landbased around the harbour. I am finding it very hard to get a rod 'off the shelf' that can cast anywhere near a good sized mullet... Managed to find a Wilson Supergraph FSU5120 online for $200, this is about the limit of my budget (thats why I'm not going custom unfortunately).

Will the 5120 be good or not heavy enough? Problem is I can't actually see/feel it to find out for myself. If 6120 would be better can someone please suggest somewhere I could get one?

Thanks

Hamish

I have fished beaches with large slab and live baits for jew. I think your looking to small.

Try a 7144 Schnider. I have used this rod to fish unweighted crab for groper and cast big slab baits for jew. Lives i find are beeter swum then cast. castnig them kills them to fast. Put a balloon on and float one out.

Why do you want such a long rod for livebaiting? You don't need to throw them, you need to learn to swim them. And an OH combo will be much easier than an eggbeater too. I realise you're wanting to start doing something new to you, but if you don't make it as easy and practical for yourself as you can, you may not enjoy it and won't do it for long.

Alright thanks everyone.

The Wilson Mulloway looks awesome, except I need it 2piece :(. Would an MT8144 or 9144 be alright?

LBG, what kind of rod length would you recommend? Ideally I was wanting 9-10ft, would that be better?

Sounds like ballooning/floating would be better than casting so I'll give that a go.

Alright thanks everyone.

The Wilson Mulloway looks awesome, except I need it 2piece :(. Would an MT8144 or 9144 be alright?

LBG, what kind of rod length would you recommend? Ideally I was wanting 9-10ft, would that be better?

Sounds like ballooning/floating would be better than casting so I'll give that a go.

Fishing a long rod and 50lb braid through it can be done but your lower back will not thank you. Also if the fish dives at your feet there will be even more tension. With a shorter rod you have more leverage on the fish and less on you.

Hey bud,

I use a Wilson FSU5120 and a custom made Kilwell FSU 5120 for casting out an 8oz sinker and a whole fish bait (30cm tailor size) off the rocks and beach for snapper and jews here in WA in heavy swells. Does the job very nicely.

7ft rods are better when fighting fish but can't really chuck out a big bait in the surf or when you need some casting distance.

Edited by Matt76