Diagnose my outboard issue

pdelux

A lowered octane rating probably isn't your only problem. More likely the fuel has left varnish like deposits and debris in the carbys and you may need to clean it out. It is possible it will clean up itself to degree after a couple of task have run through it.

Did you flush the engine after last use, disconnecting the fuel line until the engine starved and stopped? This will prevent the gumming up. Even then 12 months without use is never a good thing.

Edited by Testlab

Don't run engines dry you an seriously bugger some of the newer ones

And with older ones with alloy fuel bowls you wil get oxidisaton of the ally

Also if you have oil injection you will just fill the bowls with oil making it a bastard to start next time

Guest Aussie007

why would u want to burn off all the oil in the cylinder and crankcase running it dry? just to save cleaning the carby later down the track?

Guest Aussie007

lol yeah thats ok just when u run a 2 stroke empty on fuel your running it dry and removing all the internal lube some people do this before storing there engines away fro winter which is a bad move than come summer and there piston rings are seized to the cylinder by rust i donno why a shop would recommend you to do this

Huey from huett marine and penrith marine both told me the same thing

Think ill stick with them

Been doing this for 8 years now on various engines

Hasnt failed yet

Theres gota be other people on this forum with boats

Curious what do yous do?

Guest Aussie007

theres no need to run the engine untill the carby is out of fuel just undo the screw on the bottom of the carby to release all the fuel in the bowl

running a two stroke engine dry is the bigest mistake anyone can make.NEVER if you have pre mix because what you are doing is runing the engine WITHOUT LUBICATION no oil to lube the cyl walls means the piston will pick up on the wall of the cyl and ware.this in turn makes your motor have less compression so it run at a lower hp as the motor is not running as it should.

the add on tv for you car oil with all the little cells of oil clinging to your motor shows that oil is needed for lubing the motor.

take the grease out of your reels and see how long it lasts same as running you outboard dry dont do it.

if huey said to do this i would very much live him to put it in writing the benifets you motor get from running with no lube

my other hobby is building and racing classic dirttrack bikes and i know first hand what happens to a motor without lube

so all you outboard mechanics on this web page tell us the benifits of running a motor with out lubrication if only for a few seconds. they all ad up

jim

Edited by jimg1au

had a quick word with my older brother who is a omc master tech.only time you run the carby dry is when you want to store the engine for some months and then ONLY with fogging oil sprayed into the engine while it is running via the open carby through were the air cleaner is.if i dont use my boat for a while up to 2 months i just start it up in the back yard on the ears every sunday after lunch

cheers

Wow, a little tip turns into a big stoush. :)

All things in moderation. Running the fuel out is not something to be done at other than idle and after 30+ years of treating my 2 stroke outboards, trail bikes, jet skis, mowers and so forth this way I have not experienced any compression problems or lack of lube issues. However I am careful and not doing this is in a carefree way.

I have had lots of problems with fuel deposits, oil sludge and gum from leaving fuel in carbys and fuel injectors over long periods of time. But I will say that using high quality premium fuels has helped a lot in the last couple of years.

As for oxidation in alloy fuel bowls, I have only ever seen this when the bowl has been dried out for a very long time and moisture is present.

One thing I did see recently was the jets out of a 4 stroke mower that hadn't been started in a year and was last fueled with E10. The main was so solidly blocked it had to be punched out using a darning needle.

testlab

thats why we dont use it in boats it will eat things brass alloy rubber.i use methenol (100% alchole)as my fuel for my bikes just run 2stroke 98oct fuel thruogh when i am finished and a bout twice a year clean out the oil in the bowl.if you start your engine evey week or 2 weeks no need for draining the bowels.it will be fine

no stoush but you do put strain on your cyl walls and piston skirts for no reason