Narrabeen Lakes Flatties Help

Dlai

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone can offer me some help on how to catch flatties at narra lakes.

I am land based and usually fish off the caravan park side, but I usually catch bream with prawns and squid, though many are undersized which I throw back.

Is there any specific technique I should use to attract flatties, or any specific areas where they congregate?

And is it better to go low tide or high tide, and dusk or dawn?

Also, what other species are usually caught there?

Thanks,

DL

$10 bait trap.

$2 loaf of bread.

1 bucket to keep the poddy mullet in once you have them

Fill the bait trap with bread and leave it 2/3 submerged in the lake. I like the car park shore on the Wakehurst parkway then fishing towards the caravan park further down the road. After getting some poddy mullet riging up a with a small running bean sinker to a swivel and 40cm of trace line to a long shanked hook. Walking out into the water as far as my stubby legs will take me, throwing out and a very, very slow retrieve. I also like to fan out my casts to get as much coverage of the lake bottom as possible. I also like to pin the poddies just before the the top fin as the occasional tailor will scoff them down too. Other than that hang on.

Hey mate,

fished the lake today.

Apparently the flatties have gone off the bite according to the tackle store but i had some fun with bream and whiting at the caravan park. Both these suggestions of SP's and live poddies are worth a shot. For the SP's i would have to recommend the 80mm Squidgy Fish in Killer Tomato. Some spots to fish are:

* Woolies Bridge- Plastics and livies

* The stretch of water near the cricket nets not far from the caravan park- Plastics

* Back of the lake with big plastics of atelast 100mm length for the BIG flatties.

Find a channel with sandy edges, scattered weed and plentiful bait supply and your laughing!

Tom

Mate I fish the lake every few weeks for flatties with both SPs and bait. Fish the last few hours of the run out tide ideally at dawn or dusk, this is when they're most active. If you're going to use dead bait I'd suggest half pilchards not prawns or squid. Live poddies are the way to go in a lake though. Find a channel with adjacent weedbeds, structure and stand downstream from your target area. Cast back against the tide using just enough weight to slow the bait down in the water column. Then let the current slowly bring your bait back to you, winding in slowly to keep the line tight. Next time I head up there I'll send you a message and you can tag along if you like.

Edited by S&S

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone can offer me some help on how to catch flatties at narra lakes.

I am land based and usually fish off the caravan park side, but I usually catch bream with prawns and squid, though many are undersized which I throw back.

Is there any specific technique I should use to attract flatties, or any specific areas where they congregate?

And is it better to go low tide or high tide, and dusk or dawn?

Also, what other species are usually caught there?

Thanks,

DL

Mate I fish the lake every few weeks for flatties with both SPs and bait. Fish the last few hours of the run out tide ideally at dawn or dusk, this is when they're most active. If you're going to use dead bait I'd suggest half pilchards not prawns or squid. Live poddies are the way to go in a lake though. Find a channel with adjacent weedbeds, structure and stand downstream from your target area. Cast back against the tide using just enough weight to slow the bait down in the water column. Then let the current slowly bring your bait back to you, winding in slowly to keep the line tight. Next time I head up there I'll send you a message and you can tag along if you like.

I was thinking of going up early Saturday morning, either of you keen?

I can probably learn a thing or two from S&S too :biggrin2: ...

I have been trying sp's as of late, but only managed a singular flattie..

Edited by Marky Wants to Fish

Hey mate,

First time i ever tried plastics was at the lake. This was during early September when the water was still very cold. I managed one just sized flathead from the lake entrance with the wrong rod (fibreglass) and wrong jighead (1/4 oz) using an unsuitable retrieve.

Second time using plastics was at the lake again. I managed 2 on plastics and 3 on blades and one bustoff. All legal but with correct rod and technique this time.

Third time i managed 3 on plastics chasing bream and 2 on blades. One undersized.

My conclusion is that people are right when they say they'll eat anything you throw at them. If you're not getting hookups they're probably either not biting or simply not there.

Keep at it. You'll bag them eventually. I was a skeptic at first :P! I'd recommend SPs over bait though, just because you can cover more ground.

Edited by Howdoweplaythis

I was thinking of going up early Saturday morning, either of you keen?

I can probably learn a thing or two from S&S too :biggrin2: ...

I have been trying sp's as of late, but only managed a singular flattie..

Hey mate, sorry I'm working tomorrow and most of next week, I won't be out there till after Christmas. Keep in mind tomorrow morning is not a big low tide, meaning that the current won't be running as hard on the runout nor will the water depth be as low, which the flatties seem to like. Might still catch a few though, good luck. After Christmas I'll let you guys know when I'm going and show you a few things to help you.