Port Hacking - Bundeena

PM79

I headed out this morning at 6am and made my way down to Bundeena for the first time for a soft plastics session along off the edge of the flats and after driving through the Royal Notional Park with some %%%%% up my backside the entire time I finally made iy to my destination.

I had planned to march straight to the flats but I decided to work Simpsons Bay while heading to the flats and 5 minutes in something slammed my flick bait hard right in front of me in a gutter and the drag went crazy, then with a big splash at the surface it threw the hook and it was over.

I kept casting out hoping to pick it up again to no avail.

I have no idea what it was, but it went mighty fast before it threw the hook.

I kept working Simpsons Bay knowing I had an hour before the break between the tides and managed a few more hits which convinced me to scale my hook size down, I was using a #2/0, but whatever was out there just wouldn't get on.

By the time I made it to the flats I'd missed the break between the tides and the tide was starting to come in.

I worked the channel for a while before the water started to get a bit deep for my liking, starring down into the dark waters a foot right in front of me always freaks me out.

The wind and water had picked up a bit making casting a pain, so I changed over to a worm and worked the shallow channels that break through the flats and managed to pick up a few under size whiting.

There was a few easily legal whiting roaming around and no matter what I threw at them they just were interested, if my back and feet weren't killing me I would have grabbed my pump and thrown some nippers at them.

With the flats starting to cover with water and my lack of knowledge of the area I decided to call it a day instead of taking a chance and having to wade through deeper water to make it back to the spit.

I absolutely have to take the boat out there, I could see lots of nice places to hit up.

I didn't like the drive into Bundeena, but I won't let that discourage me from returning.

Edited by reLapse

I just want to know what hit me early on in the session.

Whatever it was it was fast and it peeled a decent amount of line before it threw me.

Oh and to make matters worse someone came right past me in a kayak, trolling, between casts and they picked up a very nice lizard right were I had been working my lure.

Edited by reLapse

I just want to know what hit me early on in the session.

Whatever it was it was fast and it peeled a decent amount of line before it threw me.

Oh and to make matters worse someone came right past me in a kayak, trolling, between casts and they picked up a very nice lizard right were I had been working my lure.

proly a rat king i was squiding around bundeena last week and had a school of kings come under the boat would of been atleast 50 of them in 3m of water... no wonder the squid were playing hard to get

proly a rat king i was squiding around bundeena last week and had a school of kings come under the boat would of been atleast 50 of them in 3m of water... no wonder the squid were playing hard to get

If it was a rat king it just makes me even more angry.

top report reLapse, i've been through that drive in the rnp quite a few times, never liked it much with the blind corners and the steep ledges :wacko: still yet to venture further and look for a good spot in that area

don't know how many times that has happened to me :ranting2: you think everything's under control and then it isn't lol

at least it gives us an excuse to come back and hit up our spots again :1fishing1:

hopefully you get whatever got away :thumbup:

Cheers,

Saf

reLapse

I to was down there all yesterday, saw you having a flick. Me and a mate pumpes nippers and pulled 6 x 45cm whitting plus a heap of undersized whitting, 5 x 35cm flatties, 1 x 44cm Trevalley and a some undersized bream.

I find fishing the area as the tides drops is always best.

Great spot for Whitting althought there are a fair few small whitting roaming the area.