Trailer questions

Central Coast Fisherman

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on taking my boat from the central coast down to narooma over the holidays. I have been towing my boat around locally for the past 6 months with no issues. However since I'm going to tow it such a long way I have a few questions.

Firstly, maintenance wise, what should I do/check on the trailer before I go? The lights are all working fine as I replaced the light board a few months ago. I'm going to change the wheel bearings, and am thinking about changing the winch cable as the current cable is starting to become rusty.

Next, I'm a little concerned about the amount of rust that's on the axle and springs/shocks. The trailer is pretty old but apparently it is filled with oil so it won't rust, and there is no rust on the body of the trailer. But the axle and springs look very rusted. Should I be concerned about this and maybe look into getting the axle and springs replaced? Or will it only be surface rust and is nothing to worry about? Also, if I do choose to get the axle and springs replaced, how much could I expect it to cost??

I just want to make sure my trailer is in tip top condition before I tow it down to narooma.

Cheers

Phil

To check the amount of rust on the springs and axle get a wire brush or file and clear of some of the rust and see how deep it goes into the steel. If it is surface rust it will clear off relative easily. If it is only surface rust clean it off. Apply some anti-rust paint and away you go.

From personal experience with rusty springs, it's well worth checking or having them checked.

2 days before leaving for Narooma a couple of years ago, I did a check, and found one spring rusted through and cracked at the shackle end. Disaster waiting to happen.

A

Edited by Alastair