Leader to jig head- loop or not?

rjc123

Hi Tom,

I use a lefty's loop when using lures or saltwater flies HERE. I've tried a few and settled on this as it has not failed me when needed. I've noticed that when using light (limp) leaders a loop knot isn't a must but when I start scaling up to a thicker, stiffer leader, a loop knot really improves the action of a lure.

I use a blood knot for flies and bait (http://www.animatedk...linch/index.php)

Cheers,

Rich

Hey raiders,

I'm doing a bit of SP fishing at the moment and am wondering whether i will need a loop to enhance the action of my SP? If so then what would be the best choice of loop/knot to use?

Thanks, Tom

Forget all the nerd stuff, pretty much the only knot you will ever need to know up to about 40lb line will be the Uni-Knot. In the case of a jig head, hardbody, squid jig, tie a normal uni knot as u would and then pull it till it slides almost to the eye, then pull hard on the tag and lock it onto that position. It can still slide down to the hook/jig etc but it will need some major pressure to get there in which case you've either hooked a great fish or snagged and will most likely require a cut and retie anyway.

Keep it simple! :thumbup:

Musty

The great thing about fishing is that there are rarely any definites. In this case - anglers can catch fish on sps with or without a loop. With small plastics - especially when fishing for bream, whiting or trout in clear water conditions during the day with light leaders and lightly weighted jig heads, a loop could be more visible and affect potential max casting distances. The action of these small presentations are rarely improved with a loop. A snug knot on the eye and trimmed well may draw a few more stikes. On the other hand a loop with the same lure, tackle and conditions for flathead may give you a little area of heavier trace. With heavier weighted jig heads holding larger plastics - a loop knot often improves their range of movement in deeper water. The secret in tying a loop is to practice making it as small as you can. These are more affective than large loops in getting the best out of a plastic's action. There are about a dozen loops that can be used. I personally prefer a fixed loop and my favourite is the re-threaded figure 8. However, most of the others are good too.