Setup For Top End Land Based Fishing (Going On Holiday)

glenpandrews

Howdy All,

I am going on a 3 month holiday in the top end, from Kakadu to Broome, and here-there-everywhere in between. I plan to do a fair bit of land based fishing from beach and rock, and in rivers. Probably 75% lure/spinner tossing and 25% bait. Whatever bites really, no specific target.

I am keen to buy a new and suitable setup for the trip.

Any thoughts on:

1) Line class? What do need for the top end nasties?

2) Rod length? I was thinking of taking two. A 7-Foot and a 10-Foot.

3) Reel? Some kind of spinning reel would suit me. Size and brand probably depend on advice regarding line class.

4) Any reasons why I should not use braided/non-stretch lines?

I suppose if I were to go out tomorrow and get something it would be a Shimano Saragosa with 30lb non-stretch line on whatever 7-Foot'ish rod looked good to suit. How close to the mark am I?

Cheers

Fatman

Sounds like a great trip.

Firstly just be very careful all through the areas that your going as you are quite likely to encounter some big lizards whilst landbased fishing.

As for the outfit a 4000 size reel matched to a rod about 7-8ft and 20lb braid with a few different leader sizes from 30-80lb plus some wire will handle the majority of fish likely in the top end landbased.

If you start fishing from a boat in heavily snagged areas targeting big run off barra or reef fishing then you might want to up the mainline a bit to 30 or even 50lb but the 20lb will give you great castability off the shore and won't be too much of an overkill on the majority of fish.

Have a good trip.

Cheers fisho..

2 Outfits is a good idea. The 4000 size reel/7' spin rod outfit is a bit of a Northern 'go-to' outfit. Definitely my number one choice too.

Because you're fishing from shore though, I'd recommend that a 7' - 10'rod matched to something like a Saragossa or Daiwa loaded with 300m (at least) of 30lb braid is a good idea. Specifically for areas where you might encounter Long Tail tuna off the rocks or jetties (that's assuming you'll sometimes be fishing the briney and not just the creeks). Even a 6-7 kg Long Tail can spool a 4000 size reel with a full load of 20lb braid (I speak from personal experience). The longer rod is simply for getting much longer casts (go shorter if you can... it will save your shoulders once hooked up)... just make sure you have a fist full of 45g Raider lures and you're set.

Cheers, Slinky