Starting rope on a mercury 15hp

Mutt

Took the boat out for a run this morning and snapped the starting rope on the engine. Took the hood off and managed to get some rope back but after a pull, no recoil so I have a frayed piece of rope hanging out of the engine. Took it to a marine mechanic who said it's best not to replace it yourself as the spring can be dangerous. Happy to pay to get it fixed but does anyone have any idea roughly how much etc? The engine is a 15hp Mercury, early 90's model. Thanks in advance....

Guest Aussie007

Took the boat out for a run this morning and snapped the starting rope on the engine. Took the hood off and managed to get some rope back but after a pull, no recoil so I have a frayed piece of rope hanging out of the engine. Took it to a marine mechanic who said it's best not to replace it yourself as the spring can be dangerous. Happy to pay to get it fixed but does anyone have any idea roughly how much etc? The engine is a 15hp Mercury, early 90's model. Thanks in advance....

mate i had one done years ago i think i paid around $125 included a new spring,rope and handle plus labour

Took it to a marine mechanic who said it's best not to replace it yourself as the spring can be dangerous.

Why didnt that bloke give you a quote or even a rough figure? :wacko:

Anyway I got it done on my 25hp Merc a couple years ago as I was noticing some minor wear on the cord and wanted to be safe rather than sorry. I cant remember the exact figure but I got it done while getting a yearly service done so it was alot less than what Gazza has mentioned due to the fact they were working on the motor anyway but yeah, shouldnt be a big issue.

Cheers

Musty

From the answers above, I now know why this is the best fishing website bar none! Huey, when I look up updating in the near future (well depending on the wife) will definitely be seeing you! I don't think the mechanic up here on the central coast was too keen, hence no quote etc! Thanks to all.....