Broken Bay 4/1

spotterone

Got up nice and early and headed out to Broken Bay this morning. Tried a few different things, but it was pretty quiet wherever I was!

Started on the Southern side of Lion Island. Thought the NorEaster would push us on a drift, but the current was stronger. There was a bit of a bump on, so it wasn't comfortable fishing, and it returned a zero after a couple of drifts, so we moved. We went to the shelter on the Western side of Lion, and caught a big yakka on a squidgie! Put him into the icebox (no live bait tank) to turn into a bait fillet later on. Did a couple of drifts there for pretty much nothing as well.

Went to the long coastline between Patonga and Middle head and was suprised at how shallow it was. I watched with great sadness the trawlers netting just out from where I was, and drifted up and down, towing pillies and flicking squidgies. Got a couple of keeper flatties for dinner, but that was it.

Fished a few other spots on the way back to the boat ramp for yet another zero.

I've got a feeling that my bait was a bit old or had been defrosted once before. Not a touch on a prawn, and only nibblers on the pillies. Fresh bait certainly makes a difference.

What I did notice today is how difficult it is to make out what type of bottom is showing on the sounder. I think I'll be purchasing a new one very shortly.

All in all, it was better than being at work, and probably the last chance to get out before I've gotta go back, so it was a good day.

Edited by spotterone

Got up nice and early and headed out to Broken Bay this morning. Tried a few different things, and it returned a zero after a couple of drifts, so we moved. Did a couple of drifts there for pretty much nothing as well.

I watched with great sadness the trawlers netting just out from where I was, and drifted up and down, towing pillies and flicking squidgies. Got a couple of keeper flatties for dinner, but that was it.

Fished a few other spots on the way back to the boat ramp for yet another zero.

Not a touch on a prawn, and only nibblers on the pillies.

All in all, it was better than being at work, so it was a good day.

i edited your report, now you and others can use it again and again. only most times the flatties will need to be deleted as well.

its a sad but regular occurance that the carpark is full but the cleaning table is bone dry. well done getting a feed.