Wife requests a feed of squid.... out to the Bay I go!

dhype

Hey Raiders ...

Wife requested a few kilos of fresh squid so I was "forced" to hit the Bay this morning to see if any were around....

Went to the usual squid hangouts and the tasty buggers were more than happy to jump on the jigs and come home with me. Took no time at all to gather a few..

Headed back to the ramp and there was masses of choppers tailor jumping everwhere... very easy to catch with the metal slices and just kept 2 for jew bait.

post-10545-059314300 1325664547_thumb.jpg

Wife very pleased with the squid... happy wife .. happy life!

See you all on the water!

Cheers

Trung

Edited by dhype

I had the day off and was bored at home :(

When will U hit the bay again? I'm free tomorrow :)

cheers

Bert

hahahah - it was no spur of the moment trip.. wife wanted squid and i need to test the boat after making some changes... so i hit the water very late.

I'm heading out on Saturday/Sunday... maybe both days! I'll call you friday and you can jump on my boat.

ps. going jigging charter for kings up the north coast tomorrow.. if is good i'll let you know.

Trung

Wow..very nice..How early did you catch those squids?

Didn't tempt any king with it?

Is that why you are such a good squid catcher. Gotta keep the wife happy.

Did a late start this morning and the lures did not hit the water till about 8:30am.... once in though , the squid were jumping on big time!

Was very suprised that there was no one there squiding at any of the locations!

I downrigged a few squid and the kings are really small ATM...

I got also got a double header on one squid around the oil wharf ... Not sure if its a small kingfish or small amberjack ? Anyone?

post-10545-018253000 1325668538_thumb.jpg

See you around

Trung

Did a late start this morning and the lures did not hit the water till about 8:30am.... once in though , the squid were jumping on big time!

Was very suprised that there was no one there squiding at any of the locations!

I downrigged a few squid and the kings are really small ATM...

I got also got a double header on one squid around the oil wharf ... Not sure if its a small kingfish or small amberjack ? Anyone?

post-10545-018253000 1325668538_thumb.jpg

See you around

Trung

They look like amberjack - definitely not kingfish

They look like amberjack - definitely not kingfish

Thats what i thought due to the brown tail and the thicker shoulders...

This would be the first amberjacks i have caught in Botany Bay ..both fish hit the squid at the same time and found 1x hook each .. they went ape sh1t afterwards.. fun!

Edited by dhype

heya buddy! leave some for the rest of us! :thumbup:

nah well done mate! hopefully we can convert them into some decent size kings soon!

Where have you been quinny ? No reports from you at all for the past few months?

Dont worry about the kings in the Bay .. they have not arrived yet!!! Once they do come , i'll let you know!!

Trung

Nice squid there :thumbup: im not sure if we should be using those tasteful cephalopods as baits. I guess when that drags screaming off u dont really mind. Bring on the kings....

Plenty of squid around ATM.. just get there early before other people clean them up! :biggrin2:

As for the kings.. i have downrigged every weekend for the past 6 or so weeks and there is only rats and on some weeks- nothing at all!!!

Very late season for kings this year... :thumbdown:

Cheers

Trung

Where have you been quinny ? No reports from you at all for the past few months?

Dont worry about the kings in the Bay .. they have not arrived yet!!! Once they do come , i'll let you know!!

Trung

yeah buddy, been tied up with the birth of my daughter, just recently been 'allowed' to start heading out again :biggrin2:

landed a couple of rats, but been quite productive on the bream and flatty front however which makes up for it :biggrin2:

let's see who can land the first legal king this summer :biggrin2: , see you out there soon buddy

Hey Trung,

your wife 'orders' you to go get some squid ?

So long as she keeps ordering you to go get somethig (anything) for seafood then everyone's happy.

I have to order my wife to order me to go fishing...and even then I don't like to take orders....:1prop:

The bay is certainly warming up and hopefully the bream and whiting will finish their spawning and resume their summer patterns.

I can't complain though - the whiting have kept me in culinary bliss for months now, even though I gave them a big break over christmas and new year.

I'm not big on squid because I just can't seem to tenderise them enough before eating them.

What do you do to tenderise them ?

Tony

Hi Tony,

I have heard soaking squid in kiwi fruit is a magic tenderiser, just put the squid in a plastic bag with crushed kiwi fruit and mix it altogether let it sit for a few hours maybe even overnight..

Peter

Hey Trung,

So long as she keeps ordering you to go get somethig (anything) for seafood then everyone's happy.

I have to order my wife to order me to go fishing...and even then I don't like to take orders....:1prop:

The bay is certainly warming up and hopefully the bream and whiting will finish their spawning and resume their summer patterns.

I can't complain though - the whiting have kept me in culinary bliss for months now, even though I gave them a big break over christmas and new year.

I'm not big on squid because I just can't seem to tenderise them enough before eating them.

Tony

Hey buddy theres no need to tenderize squid its not like octupus all u need to do is minimize cooking time like 1 or 2 minutes on high and its good as gold...

Hopefully this helps. :biggrin2:

Hey Trung,

Tony

"What do you do to tenderise them ?"

Soy + wasabi and my teeth!!! :biggrin2:

Hey buddy theres no need to tenderize squid its not like octupus all u need to do is minimize cooking time like 1 or 2 minutes on high and its good as gold...

Hopefully this helps. :biggrin2:

+1 from me, no need to tenderise, dont over cook :thumbup:

+1 from me, no need to tenderise, dont over cook :thumbup:

No need to tenderise ?

Hmmmmm, I must have rubber teeth then....

I'm sure I have fond memories of sore jaws from chewing squid - perhaps I have overcooked.

Oh well, I guess I'll catch one and try 2 minutes frying on HIGH.

I'm not a fan of sashimi squid, or tuna or salmon or anything.

I don't mind the taste of raw seafood but the threat of parasites (real or imagined) is enough for me to get the pan out every time....

So, out to the bay I'll go...

Tony