Help with squid around Bondi

Cobba12

Hello,

I live in Bondi and am looking to add squid to my list of species from around here that I can target.

I understand that the boot is a good spot on a flat sea and I have hooked and seen squid caught around Ben Buckler as well.

What im really after is techniques, do I wind stop wind or jig wind, fast slow??????

Is the best time around here on dark????

Anything that could help me would be great as I am going to be hitting them up ASAP. Was going to go now but that stinking SE wind has picked up.

Thanks in advance.

Cobba

Hello,

I live in Bondi and am looking to add squid to my list of species from around here that I can target.

I understand that the boot is a good spot on a flat sea and I have hooked and seen squid caught around Ben Buckler as well.

What im really after is techniques, do I wind stop wind or jig wind, fast slow??????

Is the best time around here on dark????

Anything that could help me would be great as I am going to be hitting them up ASAP. Was going to go now but that stinking SE wind has picked up.

Thanks in advance.

Cobba

Don't forget to read our ARTICLES section (buttons is up top of forum page) Slinkymalinky has written two on squidding

HERE IS A LINK TO ARTICLES

My best advice on this topic would be to use Braid. Mono has too much stretch to work jigs properly and the sensitivity of the braid is much better. Slight upwards motions of the rod when used in conjunction with braid will give you the action that is required. Mornings just before sunrise work just as well as evenings...good luck

Dusk is clearly the best time when fishing off the stones...

I would personally recommend a glowing jig with a dark back off the Eastern suburbs, however, don't use your lamp to make it glow before it's the total dark, squid have a very good eye sight and I found they re often spook with over glowing stuff. You'll find that you get most of your night time squids when your jig is almost not glowing anymore (for you).

Regarding the night fishing action, wind the slowliest possible trying to figure a mental map of the bottom, fishing just on the top of the kelp. Sometimes, for some reasons, they like a sort of quick retrieve and see the glowing belly of your jig, they attack from the bottom, but not often.

Most of the time, your jig must look like a quiet, prey, I would say 1 30 meter cast roughly take 2/3 minutes to be winded !

No twitch, nothing complicated, keep that for the sandy bottoms or the bays fishing !

That just my advice but I usually get them every session any time of the year anywhere I go off the eastern suburbs stoines so I guess it might work for you too...

Last thing, use 25lb fluoro leader so yhou can open the "crown" or hooks of the squids when you re snagged, you should not leave too many jigs down the bottom ! I usually lose 2 or 3 per year, so 50ish sessions or so !

Cheers.

Wow great reply.

Thank you so much for that. I will be giving that a try ASAP