Noosa Trip!

rjc123

Hey raiders,

just got back from Noosa. Had some great weather and got plenty of fishing in. Didn't get the jack i was after but nevermind. Here's a report of my trip!

My first session of the trip was a lovely one. Found a nice little spot on the river and deployed a few live worms and prawns. The fishing was quiet but i managed a 30cm grunter in the end for my troubles. They punch well above their weight and taste great too!

The next Day i was out for an offshore charter. He headed out to the Barwon Banks which is about 2 hours straight out. The fishing was slow at first but in the end it came good. The catch for the boat consited of Venus Tuskies, Snapper, Cobia, Moses Perch, Pearl Perch, Small red emperor and a big 10kg Amberjack. My personal catch cosisted of a 59cm Snapper, 37cm Tuskie and plenty of small pearlies and Red Emperor.

The next morning i went looking for some flatties. Found a nice little spot at the river mouth with deep, running waters. Pulled out 2 flatties and a cobia! Cobia in a river? Anyway, The flatties went 39cm and 46cm. The Cobe was 52cm.

Did the same the next day for another 2 flatties both going 38cm. That afternoon i had a flick with some jack lures at a rockbar and had a bit of excitement. Something big took my lure and swam straight through two pylons marking the channel. He took me under and out the other side and ran for about 50m before he slowed down. I played him for a good 10 minutes and when he was about 20 meters out the line cut on the rusty pylon....... A bit devestated to say the least. Especially when i hear the blokes who were in the tinny out where my fish ran too said it looked like a barra or a big Trevally. VERY frustrating...

The next day i had some fun with small bream to 23cm on the light stuff. That night i headed to a little bridge not far from where i was staying. Flicked a local SP around for a while until a lovely 47cm Tarpon scoffed it. My biggest tarpon yet too and i'm told it is a good size for the area!

Fished for small bream and whiting on the run out but no flatties. At night I found a wharf near a secluded bay with mangroves, rockbars and fallen trees and couldn't help throwing out a mullet fillet for a jack or big cod. It took a while but after an hour i was on. Even a locked up Okuma V System with 20lb braid couldn't stop him. My thoughts are either a bigish jack, cod or maybe even a GT. I guess i'll never know unfortunately. Had some fun with Moses perch to 27cm beforte i called it quits for the night.

My final day i decided my best chance was to grab some whiting for live bait. Got a few but they all swallowed the hook and died very quickly. Nailed a little grunter at 22cm while i was getting the whiting. One other very exciting experience though. My rod holder was ripped out of the sand and the rod went flying through the air. I had to dive in after it only to just get a hold of it. Stood up absolutely saturated as this fish screamed off and took about 50m off my reel before he pipped me on a boat anchor!!! AHHH!! That night i had one last crack at the jacks. I whacked my whiting fillet out in a lovely jack hole to have it not touched all night. Just a few bream to 23cm on the other rod.

A great trip with some nice fishing. A bit disappointed about the lost fish and no jacks. Anyway, life goes on. Hope this was a good read. I'll try and get the pics up as soon as possible.

Tom

Edited by mack attack 79

Great to hear you had a good time.

Very unfortunate about the big bust off's. If the area you were fishing is where I think it is then a barra could be what you hooked up to. They are not common there but there have been a few getting caught around the meter mark there. The other option is that it could have been a bull shark. This is less of an option if you were fishing with anything other than hard bodies because they will bite most lines straight through.

I would say that you got done by a few jacks while you were there mate, you got there after I left and the river had got rid of some of the fresh water that came down while I was there and slowed things up.

Good to hear you had a good time and nailed a few good fish though. I have caught a cobia in the river as well and one of 11kg was landed a few weeks back which is pretty amazing considering it was further up the river and not at the mouth.

Great report. Fingers crossed next time you nail your Jack.

Cobba