Port Stephens time

boattart

Gday Damo.

Look forward to catching up for a beer up there. Will let you know how we go or have Mick (hotbite) relay reports for us. Just need our horse to win at Canterbury in the BMW Classic tonight to kick the weekend end off on the right foot.

Well a big weekend. Out to Canterbury Friday night and our horse won his first Listed race then on the boat at 4.30 am to head to Port. Well Mr Weatherman you can stick your forecast because the 5-10 South easter turned out to be 15 plus Noreaster making for an ordinary trip especially when you have to travel 100 miles north. Managed to raise 1 striped marlin but the hooks didn't stick. Water looked good but having miles to cover couldn't hang around. A few boats managed 2-5 fish up at Port. Meet another mate there and brought his boat home Sunday. Thankfully the weatherman was equally wrong and a noreaster home made for a much more pleasant trip. Just south of Norah Canyons hooked a fish on 24kg that went straight down but not hard and after 30 minutes out came a very angry Blue Marlin. Around the hour mark we got hold of the trace of a real nice fish around the 180-200kg mark. Not a bad effort for the anglers first attempt at marlin fishing. Certainly looks like if the weather can settle down there will be some good fishing over the next few weeks or months.

Nice "Blue" there mate. Good fish on 24kg! Hope it did'nt put any war wounds on that shiney gelcoat :yahoo: .

Good to see Stuey catching a "stick face" instead of "toothie critters"

Looking forward to getting up there shortly. Hope to finally break my "chair" duck.... :074:

Oh yeah....thanks for the tip on your nagg..... :ranting2:

Just heard from Boattart that Marquis tagged another nice Blue Marlin approximately 150kgs,last Saturday,at Port Stephens. All there fish have been on lures. It was good to see that "Boattart" was the actual angler as he is usually on the trace!!! I think it might be his first fish for a few years!!! Although I know through personel experience that he has been involved in countless tagg & release of Marlin up & down the coast in over 30 years of gamefishing :thumbup:

Other boats have been working the usual haunts like "The Carpark",Allmark & the Newcastle Canyons. Most boats have been comeing away with 3 to 8 bites per day. I hope to be out with the boys this weekend, weather permitting.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late report. Had a fish on "Marquis" on the 5th & 6th of Feb. On the Sunday we fished with lures in perfect conditions all day. We went 2 2 0 for the day,dropped a nice Blue after afew minutes on 130lb tackle then a small Stripe that also jumped on for a few minutes then spat the lure. :ranting2: The "Carpark" was at its best with over 60 boats fishing the area as the Lake Macquarie Tournament was on that weekend. I beleave that over 230 Marlin were tagged for the two days of the comp.Some boats had up to 13 tag flags,includeing a "double" Grand Slam!!! 2 x Stripes, 2 x Blues, 2 x Blacks to a mate of mine from the Central Coast :thumbup:

On Monday the 6th we had a full crew,so we fished a combination of skip baits & live baits & we went 4 4 1 for the day.We tagged a healthy Stripe Marlin around 90kgs which took a skip bait. The bite had slowed down alittle but the bait was still stacked up from 80 fathoms right up to 30 fathoms. It was very fishy, Stipe Tuna were flicking everywhere,pods of Dolphins,Sunfish, even a few small Hammerhead sharks. We did see the weirdest thing :1yikes: There was a leatherjacket that was on the surface after it had been jigged up & then discarded. As it swam in circles a bloody huge Marlin ,maybe a Blue swam staight up to it and then engulfed it in one gulp!!!!! Finally we have a use for them!!!! But stuffed if I know how to rigg them :074:

Boattart reported that yestaday that they went 1 1 1 on a nice Black Marlin in trying conditions with a 20 knot NNE breeze. They are out again today Sunday pulling lures chaseing that Big Blue, more than likely down in the bad lands of the Newcastle Canyons.....

post-6612-076215000 1328974811_thumb.jpg

Edited by hotbite