Windang Again ! 'The Flathead Classic' 15/01/12

cut_loose

Hey Guys, i fished the Flathead Classic today on Lake Illawarra.

With an hour drive starting at 4AM and driving through nothing but rain, rain and rain, the day was not off to a good start. As Me and my dad launched the boat the weather was starting to look good. The clouds were clearing and it looked like the sun was going to come out. About 30 minutes into fishing it started raining really hard and it was really uncomfortable fishing only sitting under a bimini. I felt sorry for the guys in open boats!

P1010667-Copy.jpg

On the sandbar we noticed a bird that appeared to be stuck on fishing line. Unbelievable that it was just left there! If the tide came up the poor thing would of drowned. Me and my dad pulled up and cut the line off the bird and let it free. A good deed i thought would give me or my dad a decent fish in return haha.

Early on about an hour into fishing we had 2 Flathead measured, recorded and released just to keep them out of the live bait tank. It's not really suited to holding live Flathead. The fish went 42cm and 37cm. I knew this was no were near enough to win the comp but it was something on the board.

P1010672-Copy.jpg

Back out on my old favorite spot in the Lake and first cast on the plastics i had a Flathead in the tank again, 37cm! not bad not bad. Drifted around for a while and the rain just kept coming. It was really hard going because it was just so uncomfortable, but we kept at it!

I had a good run on my Live Poddy Mullet and it turned out to be a 25cm Bream, abit small so back in the drink he went. After another hour passed with only undersized Flathead coming in the boat i had another decent run on my Live Poddy. It turned out to be my best Bream for the year! 31cm. Not the fish we were after but nice none the less.

P1010677-Copy.jpg

We got another Flathead going 35cm one cm undersized back in the drink it went and i wanted to head in. It was 11:30 near the final measure in time so me and my dad went back to the boat ramp to put the boat on the trailer and measure our Flattie in. While dad was getting the car he hit the gutter and got a flat tire! just our bloody luck. He was alright changing it himself so i kept drifting the channel for 20 minutes fishing. On my first drop to the bottom with the last Poddy Mullet i got a bloody 44cm Flathead, our best for the day 2 minutes from the boat ramp, damn it! should of stayed here all along. Dropped a prawn to the bottom 2 minutes later after getting the Flattie in the tank and within 30 seconds i was on again. This time it was a 27cm Whiting. Now i really wished i stayed here all day haha.

The 20 minutes passed and my dad had the tire changed and the trailer in the water. We got the boat up and went to measure the Flathead in and found out that we missed measure in time, how is that for luck!

Oh well, it doesn't bother me. This just meant we kept the fish for a feed. The fish i caught last monday have already been eaten. I've got a craving for Flathead and Whiting and well, i'm having Flathead and Whiting tomorrow night without a doubt.

P1010696-Copy.jpg

All in all, a good day out even with all the bad luck, fishing is fishing, i love it and i will be back :)

P1010682-Copy.jpg

Thats fishing hey

Take the good with the bad, I live by an old moto. A Bad days fishing is better then a good day at work, & yous caught fish or better still a feed. I wonder if ur old boy realy loves fishing as much as you champ & I look at it this way its experiances like today your both living LIFE & shared time togeather and in a couple of years time yous will probably be talking about that day after a cold one all the best champ to you and your family

Yeh good report- braver man than I no way was going out in that. Popped up to weigh station at 10am and the biggest one at that time was 71cm caught on plastic, biggest on bait 51cm. Not sure if either of those won they day, and at that time no-one had got the tagged fish. Bummer was the afternoon there was beautiful.

Edited by manhands

Hi boat, i got all my fish from a boat but there are many great landbased spots all over Windang.

You try try a peice of shoreline along Oakland Ave, i always see people fishing along this section of the channel. Just be careful as the current can really get strong around here ! the tide turn is best here from high to low. I have caught fish in that channel from my boat so i know you'd get em landbased :)

Goodluck and post up any reports