Need to Raise Outboard - Help!

NickF

Hi All,

I need to raise my 175hp outboard 2 holes on the transom. It is currently on the upper most holes meaning it is at it's lowest setting. If I unbolt the 4 bolts and lift it 2 holes what sort of silicone/sealant do I need to use to ensure no water gets into the timber in the transom over time and have peace of mind knowing it is sealed properly?

The reason for the lift? : The cav plate never sees daylight unless I am running at WOT which is VERY rare as we cruise alot. The boat is backend heavy and there is excessive drag and better performance is achievable. I tried a SE Sport 300 foil but even that rides under the water all the time so the motor is definately too low.

Anybody able to give me some advice or feel like helping with the exercise?

Kind regards

Nick

Hi All,

I need to raise my 175hp outboard 2 holes on the transom. It is currently on the upper most holes meaning it is at it's lowest setting. If I unbolt the 4 bolts and lift it 2 holes what sort of silicone/sealant do I need to use to ensure no water gets into the timber in the transom over time and have peace of mind knowing it is sealed properly?

The reason for the lift? : The cav plate never sees daylight unless I am running at WOT which is VERY rare as we cruise alot. The boat is backend heavy and there is excessive drag and better performance is achievable. I tried a SE Sport 300 foil but even that rides under the water all the time so the motor is definately too low.

Anybody able to give me some advice or feel like helping with the exercise?

Kind regards

Nick

Hi nick

I did a similar thing a few weeks back and lifted my motor 1x holes... I used a product call Lexel and this stuff sticks like crazy and is very flexible

+ uv proof. Similar to silicon but a whole lot better.

Took about 7 days to fully cure but not a drop of water through the bolt holes now

Otherwise.. A lot of people recommend and use marine sikaflex so you could give that a go

Good luck

Trung

At the moment there is silicone around the bolts and washers and also the outline of the engine bracket. It is just some sort of clear silicone which looks decent. Any ideas on what sort of silicone that is? It would have to be UV stable I would say.

While the engine is off the boat you can drill the holes slightly bigger maybe 1-1.5mm then put epoxy around the internal part of the holes to stop any water penetration then put Marine Sikaflex around them or something similar. Or just use the Sika if you can't be bothered it will still work fine.