kayak v boat

paddyak

hey there.im new to this site and still fairly green when it comes to fishing.anyway i launched my kayak off forty baskets today with a bag of pilchards and my new lowrance fishfinder(never used a fishfinder before).the fishfinder was quickly packed away out of frustration and off i went....in 2 hours i managed to catch two 40cm flathead,3 plate size snapper at roughly 36cm each,one travelly at 38cm a stingray and two massive busts.no fishfinder and no boat!!!im happy with that.

hey there.im new to this site and still fairly green when it comes to fishing.anyway i launched my kayak off forty baskets today with a bag of pilchards and my new lowrance fishfinder(never used a fishfinder before).the fishfinder was quickly packed away out of frustration and off i went....in 2 hours i managed to catch two 40cm flathead,3 plate size snapper at roughly 36cm each,one travelly at 38cm a stingray and two massive busts.no fishfinder and no boat!!!im happy with that.

Thats a great session. Imagine what you could do with a sounder once you're all set up..

Never had one when i first started fishing 40yrs ago, used to fish off land marks. Still fish of land marks from Maroubra to Broken Bay. Still catch fish. Soon once all the old fellas pass off, so will their old marks. Many have been lost already. Even now it is getting hard to find some old marks because the skyline has changed so much, but once you learn them youll never forget them. A Question for you.. What happens when the batteries go when you forgot to charge it? Do you go home or would you go back to your marks and use them?.

Never had one when i first started fishing 40yrs ago, used to fish off land marks. Still fish of land marks from Maroubra to Broken Bay. Still catch fish. Soon once all the old fellas pass off, so will their old marks. Many have been lost already. Even now it is getting hard to find some old marks because the skyline has changed so much, but once you learn them youll never forget them. A Question for you.. What happens when the batteries go when you forgot to charge it? Do you go home or would you go back to your marks and use them?.

We were talking about a sounder, not GPS. I rarely use my GPS fishing the harbour, but use my sounder all the time.

Hey there..well if I forgot my bait I would go back home.and my tobacco!!.

Iv been fishing off a kayak for three years now and only purchaced my fishfinder last week.the batteries are not rechargeable.(waste of money I think)I would not go home if i forgot it.your right about landmarks. Pass them on if you want haha.

boating supply stores sell 7 amp hour batteries for $30 and charger $25 a full charge would probably last 2 long trips.

i been using them for 2 years, and had to replace battery once. i run a lowrance elite 5 DSi combo with no probblems.

Try searching for 12V Lithium Ion security camera batteries on epray. I got a 6800mah battery. Easily gets 8hrs runtime and only costs around $20-30. They are also very compact (size of a cigarette pack) so perfect for kayaks. Only issue is they can be fragile and some people say they can possibly explode. I have mine in a sealed waterproof case so it should be fine, only time will tell, but after 6months, so far so good.

Edited by spongy

Hi all

Just in regards to finin's comments, while I agree with finin in some respects, fishfinders aren't just for finding a location. I don't think there's anything wrong with embracing technology, just as one utilises the internet to discuss fishing rather than the old methods that fishermen used, like discussing the matter down the pub.

Anyway, I got my fishfinder recently and to be honest, while it hasn't helped me catch much more fish yet, it has helped me to discovered a whole new world. For example I found a depression in the Bay that I never knew was there. I did fish the drop off around it and caught bonnies that are attracted to it. No body told me about that spot and I rarely see people fishing near it.

Old information is invaluable, such as the info finin has about marks. But info one gets from fishfinders only adds to that. Once someones finds their own marks, with the use of a fishfinder or otherwise, they soon learn how to locate it without using the fishfinder. Fishfinders just help you to find new info.

Hi all

Also, Paddyyak, have it located the transducer properly? Look up the kayak forums to find out how. I siliconed a plastic lunchbox containing to the bottom of my kayak, inside the boat. I sit the transducer inside the lunchbox and fix the lunchbox with water.

There's heaps of info about setting up a fishfinder in kayaks on specific websites like akff.net.

Hi all

Also, Paddyyak, have it located the transducer properly? Look up the kayak forums to find out how. I siliconed a plastic lunchbox containing to the bottom of my kayak, inside the boat. I sit the transducer inside the lunchbox and fix the lunchbox with water.

There's heaps of info about setting up a fishfinder in kayaks on specific websites like akff.net.

hi all and cheers for the advice.i only know of two spots from my own ezperience that will produce fish( i found them with the help of google earth).and GCC you are right.....if you are not sitting at the bar with the aul fellas in the pub you will not get much information.thats were the sounder comes in.i get it .cheers.i will set it up