Land-based fishing around Lower Northshore

tapps

Hi there

I'm new to fishing in Sydney & am looking for any recommendations for land based spots around the lower north shore?

I took my 5yr old on his first fishing trip last weekend & he loved it. We got a handful of bream off Cremorne Point wharf on prawns. Nothing to write home about but the littlun enjoyed it so I want to take him to some more spots.

Any suggestions for locations, rig, bait etc are much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Spit bridge is supposed to be a good spot to try. It is always busy when I've gone there so I haven't fished it yet. I always travel a bit further north towards Manly and have somewhat regular success. If your willing to put in a few more kms try the lake at Narrabeen. Should be a good spot for the young bloke as there are plenty of smaller specimens to keep him occupied while you should be able to tackle some flatties and find some bigger fish to keep yourself busy :D

there used to be a big freestanding rock just inside the western side of cremorne point that you have to scramble onto,but we used to get a lot of good sized whiting there,as well as bream and flatties.If you are lucky with a long cast you may get to tangle with a kingy.Cast towards the southern pylon of the harbour bridge about 30 metres out to find the sand.ps you'll probably need a landing net.best of luck

Personally, when I fish bait - whether dead or live - I pin a prawn to a light jighead, cast, and twitch the prawn to make it look more lively as I would with a plastic. Might be a little too technical for your young bloke depending on his age/ability but should work for you. Maybe a peeled prawn or a bloodworm on a running sinker rig for him would suit best. He should still get onto some fish with that setup.

Near the Roseville Bridge can be good for little ones - there is a small park there with picnic tables, fenced off from the water and used to have plenty of bream and flathead. Haven't been for a while, but used to take friends kids there, and would at least get them excited with small bream. Walking through the park opens to a sandy stretch which follows around to the boat moorings, and would catch everything from bream, flathead, whiting, and small (10 cm wingspan) rays. The variety in the landscape over just a couple of hundred metres was great, particularly if the kids got bored with one spot.