mid week marlin

batty

Weather was good yesterday so i took a day off and went to the Car Park off Port for the first time in the new boat.

We managed this Black (i think maybe a blue what are the differences?) only my second marlin ever. Was very stuborn took 3 hours to get boat side. I don't know how you guys catch 8 in one day?? How much drag are you guys running on 24kg?

i ended up upping the drag well up over 8kg to get him up as the time was getting on. And after 3 hours the first time i grabbed him he nearly shook my arms off, would have been funny to see! Had to let him go but got him a few minutes later.

Swam off healthy to fight another time.

post-9478-011462300 1329349394_thumb.jpg

Weather was good yesterday so i took a day off and went to the Car Park off Port for the first time in the new boat.

We managed this Black (i think maybe a blue what are the differences?) only my second marlin ever. Was very stuborn took 3 hours to get boat side. I don't know how you guys catch 8 in one day?? How much drag are you guys running on 24kg?

i ended up upping the drag well up over 8kg to get him up as the time was getting on. And after 3 hours the first time i grabbed him he nearly shook my arms off, would have been funny to see! Had to let him go but got him a few minutes later.

Swam off healthy to fight another time.

Well done batty that's a great effort. The easiest way to tell is by the pectoral fins, that is if they are rigid and cant fold back against the body its a black.

I would say its a black - blues after 3 hours of often have a bronze colour to them and aren't that feisty.

Again well done.

Cheers

Damo

Good job mate if you have trouble identifying marlin you can either judge by the pectoral and dorsal fins and the lower jaw although blues and blacks are pretty similar in comparison. An identification book or blue water species book is also a good thing to have when you can't identify a fish and plan to release it :thumbup: