Sharks from the beach

duncan.march

Afternoon all,

Now for Aussies this probably isn't particulalry exciting...but we don't get many of these in SW London!

Went out last night to have a crack at a shark off Manly beach - I'd spoken to a few blokes who fish down there regualarly and they were all pretty confident that I would get one - I was less convinced...

Fished from 8pm until ten using half blue mackerels on a size 9/0 circle.

The upshot was six runs with three landed, two not hooked (first two - struck too early rather than letting the circles do their job) and one that absolutely smoked me - seriously couldn't even slow it on 25lb line and damn nearly got spooled before I clamped on enough pressure for the knot to the trace to give :1yikes:

I assume they were bronze whalers?

Anyway - all returned in good shape with the hook taken out - got to love circle hooks - all caught in the scissors of the jaw.

Cheers,

Dunc

post-17866-067540700 1329885541_thumb.jpg

post-17866-029885900 1329885562_thumb.jpg

post-17866-092348200 1329885581_thumb.jpg

Good effort there on the sharks. My biggest smokings have come from the beach with big sharks and always awesome to feel their power. Well done on the release as poor old sharks get flogged these days. Mind you they taste bloody good.

Mike

Well done Dunc !!!

Bet you can't wait to show the pics of those little beauties to your coarse fishing, slingshot berleying, 20foot long pole carrying buddies back home !!!!

You will be the king of the pub for months !!. :thumbup:

Enjoy.

Hahaha - must admit I mainly fly fish for trout back in the motherland - though i know a couple of bloke's who'll swear blind they could catch one of those on a size 22 hook, bloodworm and an elasticated pole!

Good effort there on the sharks. My biggest smokings have come from the beach with big sharks and always awesome to feel their power. Well done on the release as poor old sharks get flogged these days. Mind you they taste bloody good.

Mike

Yeah - I was thinking about it but just think they're pretty cool so didn't want to give one the chop - which is bad news for the local whiting :biggrin2:

Effort Duncs nicely done! Though the old Pike go hard on fly!!!!! Where about is your honme water I spent a bit of time on the Royalty Hampshire Avon chasing sea runners and barbel! Awesome fishong in the UK pity its so bloody expensive to fly fish the best streams! You know some of our brown trout are descendant from UK sea run stock as are the NZ browns! Enjoy the fishing!!!!

Well done dunc, looks like you smashed em!

Good work on the release- circles are a great invention! I caught a 4ft bronzie on monday but was using wire and a big suicide which ended up in his stomach... thankfully he was put to good use- very tasty indeed.

Will have to try circles- what leader did you use?

Cheers

Tom