Highfin amberjack

ginko

Caught on the way home on the last cast of a ten minute "decompression" session off a beach near spit bridge. Another fisho was there with a nice flattie in the bag. This fish was lurking in deep water between a long dock and a big sand flat.

It was a surprise catch, and I couldn't figure out what I'd hooked: it was fast and hard fighting like a tailor, but it just kept fighting and fighting for three or four minutes, and on six pound line, this was great fun.

At the time I took it for a rat kingie, but my "fishes of eastern Australia" book confirms it as a highfin amberjack due to the very distinct diagonal band over the eye (not so visible in the pic due to the sand). It was maybe forty centimeters. Caught on a soft plastic, about 6 cm, black on top and reflective gold flecks on the bottom and a big paddle tail, and attached with a 20lb trace. Tide was rising and just about full, sun was setting and the water was murky.

Of course he fish released to surprise another fisho.

post-8116-021716000 1331029715_thumb.jpg

What a great fish to catch during a quick 'decompression' session :thumbup: ......my attempt at decompression was listening to the cricket as I was driving home :ranting2: . Yours was definitely better than mine :biggrin2: .

Good on you for releasing it.

Edited by Basscatcher

Caught on the way home on the last cast of a ten minute "decompression" session off a beach near spit bridge. Another fisho was there with a nice flattie in the bag. This fish was lurking in deep water between a long dock and a big sand flat.

It was a surprise catch, and I couldn't figure out what I'd hooked: it was fast and hard fighting like a tailor, but it just kept fighting and fighting for three or four minutes, and on six pound line, this was great fun.

At the time I took it for a rat kingie, but my "fishes of eastern Australia" book confirms it as a highfin amberjack due to the very distinct diagonal band over the eye (not so visible in the pic due to the sand). It was maybe forty centimeters. Caught on a soft plastic, about 6 cm, black on top and reflective gold flecks on the bottom and a big paddle tail, and attached with a 20lb trace. Tide was rising and just about full, sun was setting and the water was murky.

Of course he fish released to surprise another fisho.

Hey there ginko that man that caught that flattie which he had in is bag wasnt wearing yellow pants was he? :) If thats a yes well now i can put the name to a faceand see you down there next time cheers steve.

Hey Steve - yes that is a match! you had a nice looking one in the bag there, but I couldn't raise a flattie in spite of my best efforts, and there was no action down in the shallow water by the boats.

And Bassboy888, ok, maybe it was 15minutes not 10, but it really was on the last cast. Three kids and long-suffering-and-patiently-but-fruitlessly-awaiting-the-cessation-of-husband's-fishing-mania wife at home are a pretty good reason to put the rod back in the car. So after landing a fish, I had to pack it in, at least for the day!

Maybe the long-suffering-and-patiently-but-fruitlessly-awaiting-the-cessation-of-spouse's-fishing-mania spouse should be the "Catch of the Month" theme next month. I can just picture my entry: a picture of my wife, head cocked to one side and eyes rolling, holding up a freshly caught, gorgeous, huge, beach-caught, jewie.

Hey Steve - yes that is a match! you had a nice looking one in the bag there, but I couldn't raise a flattie in spite of my best efforts, and there was no action down in the shallow water by the boats.

And Bassboy888, ok, maybe it was 15minutes not 10, but it really was on the last cast. Three kids and long-suffering-and-patiently-but-fruitlessly-awaiting-the-cessation-of-husband's-fishing-mania wife at home are a pretty good reason to put the rod back in the car. So after landing a fish, I had to pack it in, at least for the day!

Maybe the long-suffering-and-patiently-but-fruitlessly-awaiting-the-cessation-of-spouse's-fishing-mania spouse should be the "Catch of the Month" theme next month. I can just picture my entry: a picture of my wife, head cocked to one side and eyes rolling, holding up a freshly caught, gorgeous, huge, beach-caught, jewie.

Thanks ginko,i had a decant fish that broke the surface not far from i was last fishing and i gather that i was that amberjack that you caught. I suppose thats how the cookie crumbles as they say hahahaha anyway congratulations on the catch and i am sure that i will see you down there again some time happy fishing steve.