dirty water bream

tide'n'knots

gday raiders,I have been very quite lately mainly due to the extreme weather that sydney has been experiencing, but last night I stuck my head out the door and there were no clouds or wind so I seized the rare opportunity and headed out for a fish.

I only had a 3 or 4 hour window and I eventually decided that a bream session was probably my best bet, i usually wouldnt feel confident with the full moon however the torrential rain that we have been having meant that the water was dirty and I figured that the bream may not be so quite as they normally would on a big bright moon.

I arrived at my chosen spot around 9.45pm and started a bread burly trail going in the very slow moving current. I cast the first rod out and sat it in the rod holder as I began rigging my other rods. the rod buckled but due to the other rods still being rigged i missed what was a very good bite. After the other rods were set up I sat back and waited and I didnt have to wait long, over went the second rod and I was into what was obviously a very good bream, almost at the boat the hook pulled! eRRR!

I kept the burly trail going and soon I had another one but this time I managed to boat it and it was an absolute cracker bream 45cm!!!!!

I managed 3 more before pulling the pin and going home including another bream that looked like the first ones twin only slightly thinner.

I took a photo with my tackle box for FOTM.

pete.

post-8689-070105400 1331346501_thumb.jpg

a couple of honkers!

post-8689-095018300 1331346601_thumb.jpg

the entire catch - the others werent too bad either!

Mate they look like the kind of bream my dad used to tell me about he would catch at Dangar Island in the 50s and 60s. He said the biggest one's head would be on display at the bar of the anglers rest pub, they were 4, 5 and 6 pound fish.

Can I ask you what bait? Were you using unweighted baits, and what is your opinion on how to hook fish like these, do they just hook themselves or do you have to give them line when you feel a bite. And how light do you fish? I would imagine these fellas would be quite a handful on 2 or 3 kg line. Thanks!

Mate they look like the kind of bream my dad used to tell me about he would catch at Dangar Island in the 50s and 60s. He said the biggest one's head would be on display at the bar of the anglers rest pub, they were 4, 5 and 6 pound fish.

Can I ask you what bait? Were you using unweighted baits, and what is your opinion on how to hook fish like these, do they just hook themselves or do you have to give them line when you feel a bite. And how light do you fish? I would imagine these fellas would be quite a handful on 2 or 3 kg line. Thanks!

gday, mate there certainly have been some real horses caught in the hawkesbury over the years, I can remember catching bream this size on a regular basis at spencer and around milson island also many years ago.

Anyway - to answer your questions I use 6lb breaking strain mono with a black queen rod, I find the flexible rod allows you to put a bit more drag pressure on the fish and absorbs any lunges without breaking the line. I use a small ball sinker the size of a pea and allow the fish plenty of time to swallow the bait, dont be in too big of a hurry to strike or you will miss a lot of fish. If I see a fish taking the bait I lower the rod tip towards the water and if the fish is still swimming off with it when I am at full stretch then I strike, If not, I pull drag off the reel as I bring the rod tip back up so it doesnt pull the bait away from the fish and they dont suspect something is wrong or unusual and I wait and go through the same scenario again. The only time I strike quickly is when the fish buckles the rod over and takes the bait without any hesitation and vertually hooks itself. I mainly use peeled prawns but squirt worms or nippers are gunn baits also. I also burley with bread, however there is very little current where I fish and you would probably find wheat or something a little heavier would work better in a little bit of current. Dont fall into the trap of burlying while the current is running fast or the burly will only be taken away with the current and wont concentrate the fish where you are fishing.

hope this helps - good luck.

pete