Bearing Buddies

locodave

It sound like most people are pumping way to much grease in them.

The spring is designed to allow the grease to move outwards as the hub/grease gets hot, then when you back your trailer into the water and the hubs are cooled the spring pushes back the grease instead of the hub sucking in water hence equalizing the pressure again, and so the cycle repeats it self every time you tow and launch your trailer.

So if you are loosing the buddies you are putting to much grease in them. Hub get hot the grease expands and pushes off the bearing buddy or pushes out the rear seal.

I have used buddies in every trailer that I have, including my work trailer that would travel around 80km per day carrying around 1.5tonnes and have never lost one.

Just one other thing don't use the ones from Super **** waste of time, grab some proper stainless steel ones you wont look back.

So after speaking to a trailer mechanic atthe boat show i was convinced the hub is the issue. So i am replacing both hubs. By the looks of it, think they are the original 2005 ones. So i dont mind spending money on them. Im planning on getting the timken bearing and stainless steel bearing buddies and hope all works well this time :)

And i wont pump too much grease this time either! Not until it squirts out like they tell you too!

I agree Juggs, the grease doesn't just disappear. A good service once a year does the trick and I kinda enjoy servicing the trailer during those windy and wet winter weekends......it is quite satisfying to be doing something with the boat despite the weathers best efforts to defeat me :)