Considering a new car to tow my boat

Benzeenees

My LPG BA Falcon Wagon is over 10 years old. Goes well but who knows what could happen with an old car. And with the price of LPG rocketing, it's now time to at least think about replacement options.

My boat is a Quintrex 490 Top Ender (equivalent to the current 510 model). Boat + trailer + motor weigh around 960kg according to the Quintrex brochure. Add another 200kg for fuel + my fishing stuff and we're looking at towing 1160kg.

Has anyone had experience towing with one of the mid-range diesels like the Kia Sportage which is rated to tow 1600kg. Having been used to having a 4 litre motor, a 2 litre unit seems small. But I know diesels are more powerful than petrol engines of the same size.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I think the Pajero is a bit big for my purposes - I only tow the boat short distances except a trip from Batemans Bay to near Canberra once or twice a year. The experience with the Pathfinder is useful - and I believe diesels are now even more powerful than they were a few years ago.

Your right...

The modern diesel motor is designed for loads. Check the torque on the diesels v's most petrol engines and it will be plain as day... not only that, the economy towing is not much more than untowed which is completely different to a petrol engine.. We use Kia diesels for work trucks and are now 10 years old and literally cant kill them. sure they aren't a Patrol or a Pajero (eg) but we could buy two more just on the price difference alone.. only my thoughts but happy to say i would buy a Kia, although i would find it very hard to part with my AUIII XR8...

Cheers

That seems to be a very heavy Quintrex..I have a fiberglass 4.8m Monark with a 90hp mercury and tilt trailer made from steel..and the whole lot with 100liters of feul only wiegh 900kg..

I have the new XR6 and it has a 2.5ton towinig and I dont even feel the boat behind me... goodluck

Check this out it is my new car I tow my boat with...HERE

Same here the Fords are real value for money and like the others said you don't know you are towing anything behind you. Could not get the XR6 model as I have a very awkward driveway and they are a little lower to the ground so I bought an XT and fitted a couple of air bags in the rear suspension and she is a dream. Never bothered to put the extra cooler either on the last ford Au111 but gave the transmission a service every year and she is still going strong as my son owns that car now. Well I guess that more people are buying diesels these days as they are supposed to be more economical and we are following the European trend as they had been hammered with high fuel costs for the last two and half decades and I suppose will be, if not already is starting to be a consideration here too now.

Cheers

The price of LPG went up because the government decided that it should no longer be exempt from tax/excise. It used to be tax free. Just shows you that the government is not really serious about a low-carbon fuel regime because LPG is, I understand, a very clean burning fuel with bugger all emissions.

Once again we appear to have been lied to. Why tax LPG? Because it was becoming popular as people tried to avoid the high petrol prices which are high because over half the price is due to tax and excise and GST.

Even diesel used to be a by-product of petrol refining and was cheap but now it is more expensive than petrol. It's a good thing modern technology makes diesel running economical enough to justify the cost.

I'll get off my soapbox now because the steam is starting to come out of my ears when I talk about this stuff.

That seems to be a very heavy Quintrex..I have a fiberglass 4.8m Monark with a 90hp mercury and tilt trailer made from steel..and the whole lot with 100liters of feul only wiegh 900kg..

I have the new XR6 and it has a 2.5ton towinig and I dont even feel the boat behind me... goodluck

Check this out it is my new car I tow my boat with...HERE

perhaps the 900 kg of the Monark doesn't include the trailer? Trailer is about 300kg. 90hp motor at least 200kg. 100 litre fuel is 90kg. Only leaves 310 kg for the boat. My Quintrex is 520 kg.

perhaps the 900 kg of the Monark doesn't include the trailer? Trailer is about 300kg. 90hp motor at least 200kg. 100 litre fuel is 90kg. Only leaves 310 kg for the boat. My Quintrex is 520 kg.

I wieghed my boat when i bought the new car to make sure I had the right tow pack.. i had already wieghed the trailer seperatly which was 220kg and the whole lot wieghed in at 900kg with trailer, boat and feul...

We have a Santa Fe diesel and it tows very well. Since anything over 750kgs needs a braked trailer there is not a lot of difference other than power when it comes down to choosing a tow vehicle. We are looking at a new Sorento which has 440nM and is rated for over 2t.

The Santa Fe we have now (340nM ?) is no speed demon with a trailer on the back when on the freeway and going uphill but it's been a great compromise vehicle for the whole range of family activities.

Look at a Holden Colorado (Isuzu built) 3l Turbo Diesel in Auto, or Isuzu Dmax (Same as Colorado)

My mate Che and I have both got one, and they are tough as nails.

Mine has half of ARB bolted on with lockers, compressor, snorkel, suspension lift, canopy, steel winch bull bar with driving lights and fog lights, steel side rail sidesteps, steel rear step tow bar, Rhino roofracks, and 3mm steel underbody protection.

$39000 for the car, $18000 ARB = $57000, that's what I call a deal.

My car allows me to have my boat on the back, a kayak on the roof, two labradors in the back, baby on the back seat, Mrs in passenger seat, and a kangaroo on the front bar... all at the same time.

It's the most versatile car I've ever owned, and I love it, I wanna scream it from the top of a mountain.

Mick

Edited by iMick

Look at a Holden Colorado (Isuzu built) 3l Turbo Diesel in Auto, or Isuzu Dmax (Same as Colorado)

My mate Che and I have both got one, and they are tough as nails.

Mine has half of ARB bolted on with lockers, compressor, snorkel, suspension lift, canopy, steel winch bull bar with driving lights and fog lights, steel side rail sidesteps, steel rear step tow bar, Rhino roofracks, and 3mm steel underbody protection.

$39000 for the car, $18000 ARB = $57000, that's what I call a deal.

My car allows me to have my boat on the back, a kayak on the roof, two labradors in the back, baby on the back seat, Mrs in passenger seat, and a kangaroo on the front bar... all at the same time.

It's the most versatile car I've ever owned, and I love it, I wanna scream it from the top of a mountain.

Mick

Mate, sounds like a real beast. Got any pics?