botany bay 18/3/12

fisholb

One of my mate just got a boat so I asked him when will he take me for a ride. I waited weeks for the call and I finally got the call Thursday night. O told my mate I'm free Sunday but the weather wasn't looking too good. My mate told me well have a look so went to his place just before 5am Sunday. We loaded up the boat and off we went. Got to the ramp just before 6am. There were only two trailers parked at the ramp. The wind was blowing around 20kph. My mate asked me if I still want to go out. I replied its up to him. We worked out where to get some sort of cover from the wind. My mate said I better take some tablets just in case and wear the life jacket. The last time we went out in this kind of condition we almost lost the boat and I ended up in hospital. That was around 3 yrs ago. That was the last time I went on a boat. With that in the back of my mind I was having second thoughts. My mate said to me we are crazy if we go out and I said to him were just addicts. Anyway off we went. First stop was molli to get some yakkas. The ride from the ramp to molli felt like it was eternity. The waves were hitting the boat pretty hard. It was rough and I was glad when we got to molli. We found shelter finally. We quickly rigged up and filled the tank with yakkas in no time. We waited until the sun came up so we can see better. We went to the other side of molli but there were already half a dozen boats. My mate said were not the crazy ones. Anyway off we went to my mates fav spot. The last time we went I caught my biggest trev at 55cm at that spot. In 3hrs we caught bream up to 1kg and trev around the 45cm. We were using chicken strips my wife soaked in garlic overnight. We run out of chicken bait so we started to use pilchards. We weren't getting any bites so we decided to move to another spot. When we got to the other spot it was getting too rough so we moved back to my mates fav spot. We burley hard with bread and not long we got a school of mullet hanging around the boat. For the next hour we were catching mullet. It was a first for me. It was so much fun catching the mullet using 10lb line and using a size 8 hook with bread as bait. That's all we were catching so we decided to go home. All up it was a good day even though the weather wasn't that good.