new to fishing in sydney!

robbo1990

hey guys!

im new to fishing in sydney. i live out in the north shore area and i really want to catch myself a decent fish, im finding it hard in sydney though, im a shore based angler. i have tried, the spit, bobbin head, some parts of middle harbour and i really still never manage to catch somthing. best iv caught is a legal leather jacket. im in the process of buying a fishing kayak. can anyone help me with some information or directions on where i may catch somthing decent :)

kind regards

and look forward to all the feed back

hey guys!

im new to fishing in sydney. i live out in the north shore area and i really want to catch myself a decent fish, im finding it hard in sydney though, im a shore based angler. i have tried, the spit, bobbin head, some parts of middle harbour and i really still never manage to catch somthing. best iv caught is a legal leather jacket. im in the process of buying a fishing kayak. can anyone help me with some information or directions on where i may catch somthing decent :)

kind regards

and look forward to all the feed back

What species are you chasing?

The main fishing area at bobbin head is really a baby bream nursery... having said that, the odd thumper bream and tailor come from here as well as many good mullet. Another place nearby you could try is apple tree bay. It is the next bay around from bobbin head and a much better fishery! Bream, Flathead, Whiting, Tailor, Jewfish, mullet and blackfish come from here. Balmoral is another option. Prawns will get you flathead, bream and flounder. Balmoral is in middle harbour.

With the kayak, you can fish a few different waterways. I would recommend upper middle harbour and cowan creek. Upper middle harbour is very sharky (bull sharks) but it has plenty of bream, flathead, whiting and jewies for both lure tossers and bait fisho's. Cowan on the other hand, is a little more productive. It is a relatively deep waterway and holds really good numbers of bream, flathead, jewfish, tailor and hairtail (hairtail only in winter) aswell as a few whiting, blackfish. It has endless deep water banks that are a bream fisho's paradise. Blades and SP's are best but unweighted prawns will do the job aswell. If you are after a challenge then i recommend you get some BIGGER SP's out and have a flick for jewies. They are very elusive but its well worth the effort! Paddle tail type plastics are best (5"+)

Cheers, Tom

The main fishing area at bobbin head is really a baby bream nursery... having said that, the odd thumper bream and tailor come from here as well as many good mullet. Another place nearby you could try is apple tree bay. It is the next bay around from bobbin head and a much better fishery! Bream, Flathead, Whiting, Tailor, Jewfish, mullet and blackfish come from here. Balmoral is another option. Prawns will get you flathead, bream and flounder. Balmoral is in middle harbour.

With the kayak, you can fish a few different waterways. I would recommend upper middle harbour and cowan creek. Upper middle harbour is very sharky (bull sharks) but it has plenty of bream, flathead, whiting and jewies for both lure tossers and bait fisho's. Cowan on the other hand, is a little more productive. It is a relatively deep waterway and holds really good numbers of bream, flathead, jewfish, tailor and hairtail (hairtail only in winter) aswell as a few whiting, blackfish. It has endless deep water banks that are a bream fisho's paradise. Blades and SP's are best but unweighted prawns will do the job aswell. If you are after a challenge then i recommend you get some BIGGER SP's out and have a flick for jewies. They are very elusive but its well worth the effort! Paddle tail type plastics are best (5"+)

Cheers, Tom

thank you so much for the feedback mate. so is cowan creek infested with bull sharks as well?"

i kind of want to stay away from the risks of sharks.

kind regards chris

thank you so much for the feedback mate. so is cowan creek infested with bull sharks as well?"

i kind of want to stay away from the risks of sharks.

kind regards chris

Hard to say. Cowan definitely has sharks but it is a deep waterway and most of the sharks are near the bottom (hammerheads). It is safer than upper middle harbour but really, anywhere apart from narrabeen lakes has sharks of some sort around from time to time. You see many people kayaking and jetskiig and they don't seem to be worried about them. Its really up to you but the risk is really very small and there are probably more hammerheads than bulls in cowan. I have fished cowan via boat many times and have never seen a shark anywhere on the surface. I personally think that you will be fine as long as you don't intend on swimming in the middle of the river regularly... :074: