STACER or HORIZON for a large tinny - Any advice?

bunganbob

Hi to the Tinny Raiders out there.....hope you can give me some experienced advice?!

Im a long time fisho, but a newbie on FR so here goes..

Im looking for my best option in a large tinny, say 4.8-5.2m range, a centre or side console, STACER or HORIZON, with either a Yamaha or Suzuki 60 4 stroke.

My needs are 75% inshore (Lower Hawkesb, Pittwater, Syd Harbour) and 25% offshore (Palmy-Long Reef) with the occasional run out to the FADs in guaranteed good weather. I also want to whack a ski pole of some kind on there, for wakeboarding and keeping the older son interested and on the water (he hates fishing, can u believe!)

In the past, I had a heavy horrible fibreglass cuddy, this time Im after a lightish, no-fuss open boat with room for casting lures, crab traps, transporting surfboards to Box Head ...abit of everything really, get the drift?

My initial impression is that Stacer is more popular, but is that just due to better marketing I wonder? Horizon seems pretty tough and design seems fine, with plenty of options, but why arent there more of them out there? Is it just down to marketing?

IF ANYONE'S HAD EXPERIENCE OF BOTH STACER AND HORIZON tinnies in the larger size range - Id be grateful for some pros and cons on both.

Thanks.

Hi, I could sell either brand and choose to stock and sell Stacer if that answers your question and I do not think there is a better prodcution runabout than the Stacer Baymasters. They come with the proven EVO Advance hull offering a great ride, they have LEVEL floatation for saftey, they have gunwhale rubber, nice rolled side decks, walk thru front deck and many more features why they are superior to all other brands. All this plus the best backing and ALLOY trailers and when package up as a BMT package as from Telwater you WILL NOT get a better value new rig.

PM me if you are interested and I have a 489 Baymaster (LOA of 4.95M) here at the moment with fully plumbed LBT/cutting board and a 75HP E-TEC that trust me you are going to need if you want to pull a teenager-no brand of 60HP, especially a 4-Stroke, will offer the torque to pull a wakeboarder-that is fact.

Cheers,

Huey.

I'd concur with Heuy, a 60 on a 4.8+m boat isn't going to pull a wake boarder. I have a 60 4 stroke yamaha on my 4.75m and its fine for fishing and maybe pulling a tube, but not for what you want it for.

I'd also add that for wakeboarding a tinny might not give you much fun either unless you leave the bung out and half fill the hull with water (I've done that in mine and thought the wake was quite good for boarding if I wasn't so concerned about sinking it :P ). Tinny's just don't have the weight and displacement to create the steep wake that boarders like to play in. This is why the dedicated boats for this have ballast tanks to weigh the back down and make them plough through the water.

It might be possible to buy an after market ballast bladder for under the floor if you look around, but the hulls weren't designed for this so I'd be concerned about stressing it with the weight and unnatural planing angle.

Thanks Huey for yr prompt response, I figured my burley trail would bring out some good advice.

I was planning a run up the Hwy to check yr place out anyway, but will call first.

I was thinking more of an unpainted no fuss hull like the seahorse model, no front windscreen, just the bare boat.

THANKS 'EmptyHooks'

2nd opinion appreciated, will rethink my needs.

Figured 60 would be heaps, but maybe not eh..Am still coming to terms with the bung left out and bow in the air dragging a wakeboarder....

Thanks Huey for yr prompt response, I figured my burley trail would bring out some good advice.

I was planning a run up the Hwy to check yr place out anyway, but will call first.

I was thinking more of an unpainted no fuss hull like the seahorse model, no front windscreen, just the bare boat.

Hi, if that is the case the 529 Seahorse is a great hull with the EVO hull offering great deadrise for great ride and reverse chines for stability. For all you want to do the 529 Seahorse would be very good and it is only rated to 60HP so choose the right 60HP and on such a boat you could do that you wanted. Also for a limited time only they do the 529 Seahorse Elite, that comes STD with side decks, full floor and no thwart seats for just a big open tinny.

Cheers,

Huey.